It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do I use for making my very own dynamic messageboard?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I have a lot of ideas I'd like to implement within a message board framework. However, there is so much dynamism involved that it's more like I would be writing a webapp that filters and iterates over a database (mesage board content) and returns results w/in a dynamic GUI.

That being said I'm currently looking at three different packages:

1. UnCommon Lisp [ www.common-lisp.net... ] It's got some nice features and I like Lisp.

2. WebWare (Python) [ webware.sourceforge.net... ]

3. Zope (Python with cruft) [ www.zope.org... ]

From my research, Zope is a little monolithic. But it's used by a lot of sites. It doesn't have good documentation, though. WebWare is better, but I can't tell if it's to "weak." It's bascally Python, however, which is a "dialect" of Lisp (yep, there's a lisp interpreter in there). This seems like the best thing. UnCommon Lisp has some really good features, but little documentation and it looks a bit new.

Does anyone have experience with any of these languages? What would you go with for making a web site/message board as I described above?

cheers
ktpr

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Man, no love here

Another very interesting language:

www.supercompilers.com...

But I'm wondering into string manip. languages with little bearing on internet servers and the like.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
www.supercompilers.com...

Lol. I'm not sure they meant this.

You know, I'm a programmer and I barely grasp what that thing can do. Is it an advanced way of querying a database?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well what language were you talking about? Refeal is a functional language, like Lisp, that uses pattern matching. It's esoteric but very useful at the same time ... if you want to do pattern matching and functional language tricks. It's very nice, but has no concept (read:libraries) of the web.

The reason I bring up these languages is that if you're going to make your own message board, with more interactivity than ever seen before, you're going need some serious tools to do it. We need:

- pattern matching (string manipulation)
- Some kind of html parsing/output library
- hooks into a database (good hooks, at that)
- some notion of security
- A robust means of dynamic evaluation
- Ability for speed or at least conversion to C for speed
- and so forth...

So I'm looking for a language that can do all of these. So far, WebWare (Python) seems like the only one that works. It has bad SQL libraries, though.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I thnk I'm going to go with WebWare, Python. As much as I love Lisp it's to iffy to get support for.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Whoops. I just discovered that real men use Twisted.
It's quite amazing and I can use Quioxte with it. www.twistedmatrix.com...

It can handle up to 3,000 connections at once. Everyone uses it (NASA, etc). It implements so many things: www.twistedmatrix.com...

For example, It implements a GPS service, Jabber, FTP, SSH, a chat service. Man.

new topics

top topics

join