It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

anger as a catalyst for change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I was just reading a thread about obama and his "kill whitey racist church" which got me thinking about something that has had large meaning in my life.
I wuld be interested in hearing others thoughts on the possibility of using anger as a catalyst for positive change in life

Rev wright really isn't all that far off with much of what he says, he just happens to say it in a very inflammatory way.
Since most people are not going to start rioting and taking to the white neighborhoods with pipe bombs and machine guns this anger and rage can be channeled into positive change within themselves and their community.
Sort of a screw this Im not going to be the victim anymore and this is what I am going to do to show them.

Sometimes we as humans seem to have to get riled up and pissed off to create the catalyst for real change.

When you are oppressed and feel like a victim you are frozen in a state of intertia, you feel powerless to initiate positive change and fear and helplessness can soon overtake you.

In my own life I was married to an abusive man, I was terrified and feeling sorry for myself and walking on eggshells all the time just trying to placate him and keep myself from getting hurt again.
That tactic didnt work instead it made me more available to be beat up and emotionally and verbally berated.

So finally I got angry, really truly angry and that anger gave me the strength to stand up and say screw you im out of here. I left not out of fear for my own life but because I was angry enough to have visions of flinging hot bacon grease on his face, and that wasn't an option in my life, but neither was being in fear all the time and being someone punching bag.

It gave me the drive to make my own life and the fire in my soul to succeed at it.

I was no longer a victim, I was angry, but since Im not an abusive sociopath who beats up others to feel better I directed that strength and anger towards positive change in my own life.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
First off I do feel that anger can iniciate change but not all anger can do so. constructive and deconstructive anger which I will call anger and malice respectivly are completly different but can be felt as the same. I comend you for useing anger and improving your position. but woe to he who use anger against his brother for retaliation will follow.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Honestly, nothing changes without anger being involved. You see, that is why there has not been any real change in the world we see today... No one is willing to show any indignation or rage. Everything is about passivity...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I agree that the world is operating on too much passive behavior and ambigouity. I often wonder why this is the case, is the flouride in our water, the over indulgence in the crap that is mainstream media, or any other possible combination of reasons.

how have we come so far from the outrage, activism and willingness to work to fix stuff that was present during the civil rights movement and the vietnam era.

really it wasn't that long ago and yet we have truly become placid livestock going about our business.

What will it take to piss people off enough to take steps to action.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by gluetrap
this anger and rage can be channeled into positive change within themselves and their community.
Sort of a screw this Im not going to be the victim anymore and this is what I am going to do to show them.

This is exactly the opposite of what Barack Obama and his former pastor believe and preach. They want people to keep playing the victim, otherwise no one will buy into their wealth redistribution/affirmative action policies and sermons respectively. More importantly, no one will buy into the notion that they need someone like B-HO or Rev. Wright (or Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton for that matter) to tell them what to think and do.

These fossils from the civil rights era are what is holding civil rights back. They want people to believe themselves to be victims otherwise these 'leaders' hold no power.

edit to add: kudos to you for getting out of your abusive relationship.

[edit on 8/13/2008 by sc2099]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

thanks for the kudos, thankfully it was long ago, and thankfully he is a much better person now thanks to sobriety.

I still dont like him though.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
first of all, sorry for abusing, no reason ever exists for that kind of behaviour. hope you're better luck now

Anger is great feeling if you can control it and center it in positive goal.
when anger motivates people they can do 110% of their strenght.

but only as motivator. lots of people these days are too passive so their motivation is low (goverment wants you to be passive, so they can pass things by your eyes and you say who cares) or their anger is centered to rage - motivation to high so behaviour is not controlable - another thing goverment wants so they can say - see all that is unacceptable.

controlled anger - best feeling for success

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by gluetrap
reply to post by sc2099

I still dont like him though.
\

I have a feeling that's the understatement of the year. It's good that you're not bitter and resentful. Even though you would have every right to be, it would only hurt you further. I'm glad you were truly able to move on.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Reneau

Hi everyone,

I came here to discuss anger. I am angry and I feel I am justifiably angry but won't this anger just hurt me and those around me? Anyone want to chime in here and give me your philosophy about anger and it's purpose or function? I would really like to use this anger constructively and learn how to get a better handle on it.
Thanks in Advance.

new topics

top topics

join