It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States Defeated in Iraq?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
snipit:
The real way to measure success or failure in Iraq is to look at the US fiscal budget which has suddenly skyrocketed to nearly $500 billion. This is mainly due to the exorbitant costs of prosecuting an open-ended conflict in the Middle East. The American consumer is not confused by the surge rhetoric; he knows we are losing. He's not blind. He sees evidence of defeat every time he pulls up to a gas-pump. Tell me: Is $4 dollar per gallon gas a sign of victory or defeat? This isn't rocket science.

www.marketoracle.co.uk...

Americans are not Stupid they see they are losing the war every time they fill up at the gas pump.
No matter who wins the 2008 elections
The world is abandoning the American one world super power model
and leaving America to reflect on its flirt with imperialistic machinations.
Perhaps also to find time to reflect on the war crimes against Iraq and the
rape of America,perpetrated by the Bush Jr WH

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I dont think the war in Iraq has as much to do with $4 gas than does worldwide oil consumption. The US isnt the only country paying more at the pump...in fact most coun tries are. I think to say the war in Iraq is considered a defeat because of the price at the pump is a shortcut to thinking and just another excuse to blame someone. Just my 10 cents...my 2 cents is free.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by solo1

Its a failure, but for a different reason. Any war with any country that involved us pumping trillions into would have lead to this. We were going to hit $4 gas regardless of war or not.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by solo1

I've heard it's gone up to 700$ billion.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Yep-thats the price of war. War aint cheap. THATS why many folks are against it when really they say its because of "humanitarian" reasons. =)

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I was never a proponent of the war to begin with, although I disagree with a few things asserted in the article.

As far as "defeat" goes, we won quite a while ago. Nuff said. As it stands now, the Iraqis can do what they please with the country. I never cared much what happened there to begin with, but I suppose Washington did. I've heard many ideas on why, but that's really besides the point now.

America seems to have gotten fairly lazy, and by proxy America supports this war by a far larger margin than is put forth by the media and polls.

If we really cared about ending the war, we would do something about it, but honestly most people are either too apathetic, too scared, or too invested to rock the boat, so they carry on and simply talk about how dreadful it all it.

Obviously the "anti-war" party (Dems) are full of it because they have done little to stem the war.

The Republicans have made their bed and now have to sleep in it, so they aren't much help either. Apparently saving face is better than correcting mistakes.

As to the long term results of Iraq, no one can say at this point. It could go a number of ways, but none of those depends on America. It depends on whether or not Iraq and it's people wish to join "reasoned" countries and play the game or continue to buck the system like Saddam did and get nailed for it in the end... again.

You can't claim defeat with dollars, because this war really isn't that expensive (sure, less so than NO war). We easily waste that much money each year on nonsense domestically.

Wasting money is what they do best. They'll find one way or another to do it.

top topics

join