It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence Faulted in Detainee Case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Evidence Faulted in Detainee Case

www.nytimes.com

In the first case to review the government’s secret evidence for holding a detainee at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, a federal appeals court found that accusations against a Muslim from western China held for more than six years were based on bare and unverifiable claims. The unclassified parts of the decision were released on Monday.

With some derision for the Bush administration’s arguments, a three-judge panel said the government contended that its accusations against the detainee should be accepted as true because they had been repeated in at least three secret documents.

The court compared that to the absurd declaration of a character in the Lewis Carroll poem “The Hunting of the Snark”: “I have said it thrice: What I tell you three times is true.”

“This comes perilously close to suggesting that whatever the government says must be treated as true,” said the panel of the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
afp.google.com

[edit on 7-1-2008 by Esoterica]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
This truly affects me. The article speaks for itself.

I've spent the alst eyars trying to make sense of what my government has been doing. I've been trying to trust them. Trying to think that they have my best interests at heart. But Guantanamo bay has always been a sore spot.

Now, this. The evidence is non-existent, literally paper thin. People have been held for years simply because the government said so. I can't even fathom why they would do this, except that they either don't care or just wanted tos ee if they could get away with it. There is absolutely no reason I can think of to have held this man, and certainly many others, on heresay. Unless they truly are mad. I don't know any more.

But I do know I am disgusted with my government, and do not beleive that they have my best interests at heart, and hold the ideals fo my country. Not any more, when they do somethign that is the complete opposite of liberty and justice. There is no defense for what they've done.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I found a few more articles (since this was new news when I posted it). These are ones I beleive don't just repeat the information, but add some good opinion, clarificaiton, or impact to it.

Many people don't grasp meaning of court ruling

Guantanamo Detainees: Shorter Wait?

We Are Through the Looking Glass: Guantanamo as Alice in Wonderland

Lawyers make huge pro bono effort for Guantanamo detainees

join