It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The solution for high gas prices?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Obviously The whole "I wont buy any gas this week" will not work as you will either fill up before or after the scheduled "boycott" week. Here is my proposal.
Stop filling up at only one station. But this station has to be uniform across the country. I believe that if such a movement against oil is taken and profits start to fall for them they may want to start thinking about their prices, They might merge with another oil company, or quite possibly just go belly up.

I did a little home work so as collectively we could all decide (in the U.S. at least) who the best candidate would be to avoid forever. So please lets be fair and choose the guy with the most to loose. Feel free to post any other links or horror stories to sway opinoins!!!!

Standard/ Marathon/ Speedway
www.marathon.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

Exxon/ Mobil
www.exxon.com/
en.wikipedia.org...

Shell
www.shell.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

Phillips 66
p66conoco76.conocophillips.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

These are just a few of the stations around my house please feel free to post the others I have not.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I don't think you can rally people up for something like this on this site. But, I could be wrong. But, it is a better idea than buying not for one day, but to make a statement against one retailer that is a good idea.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I know I am on to something here. Perhaps a website would work better for me. I guess I am hoping word of mouth will work for right now. I guess it is just a matter of figuring out which company has the most to loose and starting there.

Just found this site
www.exxposeexxon.com...

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Wow no other ideas? I thought for sure this would git the ol' juices flowin.
Thank you mods for placing this thread accordingly.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Actually, its a great idea. And it could work. Another idea would be to cause a really massive price war by boycotting all but one gas station. But that would be even harder to accomplish than the previous idea mentioned in the OP.

The problem, of course, is that most Americans are creatures of habit these days. Most are simply not willing to make the sacrifices needed in order to affect this kind of change. It really is a shame.

Personally, I would be all for it. If enough people would agree to participate in such a boycott, I would be happy to join them. Lord knows our economy can't take much more of these rising fuel prices.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The general idea is to get people to stop buying from 1 station all together eventually they will drop their prices. Then (hopefully) other stations will have to follow suit and lower their prices to compete.

Creatures of habit we are but would it kill you to drive the extra couple of feet to the station across the street for lower gas prices???lol

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This could work but most of the fuel companies have big transport companies that use mass amounts of fuel that it may not affect them all the much.

I used to work for Caltex in Brisbane Australia, the head of the company that produced the fuel for them stated that he guaranteed that the price per litre leaving the refinery would not exceed 18.7 cents/L. We are paying $1.40 for unleaded fuel that is a massive mark up.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Supply and Demand. To use less gas we have to limit the use of it on our end. I guess it will cost us. By limit I mean stay at home now and then. Our air that we breathe might be cleaner if you do so.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I think I receive a different email every other day with a new idea to make gas prices drop. This idea has been tried many many times, and it is a good idea, but to make ANY difference, you would need millions and millions of people to take part, and that's not going to happen.

I do have the perfect solution though, I don't drive. I ride my bike and take public transit. Try it, it's fun :-)

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I had a friend who did some reseach on where our oil/fuel comes from. I found it very interesting along with her suggestion.

My thoughts are if I'm going to be raked over the coals in high gas prices, my $'s might as well go to USA companies. And who knows, this just might have a interesting impact on our foriegn oil importers.

Here's her message:

Subject: BUY ONLY AMERICAN GAS

Are you aware that the Saudis are boycotting American products?

Shouldn't we return the favor?

Can't we take control of our own destiny and let these giant oil importers know who REALLY generates their profits, their livings?

How about leaving American Dollars in America and reduce the import/export deficit?

An appealing remedy might be to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up your car you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia.

Just purchase gas from companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Don't you think it might be of interest to know which oil companies import Middle Eastern oil and which do not?

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:
Shell.................................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco.................... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil........................ 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway............ 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco.................................. 62,231,000 barrels

And CITGO oil is imported from Venezuela by Dictator Hugo Chavez who hates Americaand openly avows our economic destruction! (We pay Chavez's regime nearly $10 Billion per year in oil revenues!)

The U.S. currently imports 5,517,000 barrels of crude oil per day from OPEC.

If you do the math at $95 per barrel, that's over $524 million PER DAY ($191 BILLION per year!) handed over to OPEC.

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:
Sunoco........................ 0 barrels
Conoco........................ 0 barrels
Sinclair....................... 0 barrels
BP / Phillips................ 0 barrels
Hess. ................................................... 0 barrels
ARC0........................................... 0 barrels
Maverick........................ 0 barrels
Flying J. ............................................. 0 barrels
Valero............................ 0 barrel
Murphy Oil USA sold at Wal-Mart is from South Arkansas and USA owned.

They give scholarships to all children in their town who finish high school.

All of this information is available from the U.S. Department of Energy and each company is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

But to have a real impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers.

With the help of the internet, it's really simple to do. Now, don't wimp out at this point....keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I'm sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at only ten more (30 x 10 = 300)....and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)....and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!!!!!!!

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it...THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE-the entire population of the United States of America !!!!

Again, all you have to do is forward this message to 10 people.

How long would that really take you? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people, within one day all 300 MILLION people could theoretically be contacted during the next 8 days.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Chain-Email Excerpt:

WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1 PER GALLON!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that any drop in the cost of a gallon of gas is a DEAL, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace, not sellers.

We can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Because we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas, but we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a PRICE WAR.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers. It's really simple to do.

Join the resistance!

Why this concept won't work: Full Text

What will work? Downsize if necessary...moderate consumption...support alternative research...demand an end to short-sighted energy policies.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Now this is a conspiracy!

You might see those names at the pump but the fact is, many of those stations are independently owned and operated. I'm talking about the gas stations not the oil companies.

So you would put out of business a guy trying to make a living like just like you and I, just for a protest?

I have a friend named Dan who owns a Texaco station
Did you know he makes something along the lines of about 6 cents per gallon the oil company makes all the money not the guy at the pump!

If he did not offer Auto Repair and have some groceries he's be broke within a week!

Sad fact but true!

new topics

top topics

join