It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italian Trial of C.I.A. Operatives Begins With Torture Testimony

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Italian Trial of C.I.A. Operatives Begins With Torture Testimony

www.nytimes.com

Hassan Mustafa Osama Nasr, known as Abu Omar, was taken from Italy and transferred to a prison in Egypt, where, she said, he was repeatedly tortured. While acknowledging a program of “extraordinary rendition,” or abducting terrorism suspects outside the United States, the Bush administration claims that no one is sent to nations that torture.

“I found him wasted, skinny — so skinny — his hair had turned white, he had a hearing aid,” Ms. Nabila said, recounting her husband’s condition between prison stays in 2004.

Wearing a veil that revealed only her eyes, Ms. Nabila at first said she “didn’t want to talk about” any abuse against her husband in prison. But advised by prosecutors that she had no choice, she told the court in tears: “He was tied up like he was being crucified. He was beat up, especially around his ears. He was subjected to electroshocks to many body parts.”

“To his genitals?” the prosecutors asked.

“Yes,” she replied.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
uk.reuters.com
www.iht.com
www.iht.com
www.watchingamerica.com

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
For those of you who may have forgotten or otherwise are unaware of the back story. Here's a recap:

The "Imam Rapito Affair" as it became known in Italy, began on the 17th of Febuary, 2003 when this man:

Hassan Mustafa Osama Nasr (also known as Abu Omar) was abducted by persons affiliated with the CIA as he walked to his mosque in Milan, Italy, for noon prayers.
He was nabbed, thrown into a van, driven to the joint US-Italian airbase at Aviano and the later flown to a secret, CIA-run "Black Site" in Cairo, Egypt; where he was detained for around 4 years and subjected to various torture methods.
It's almost like something out of the Bourne trilogy.

He was beaten, electrocuted (even on his genitals), sexually assaulted and eventually lost hearing in one ear.

After four years of detention, an Egyptian court ruled that his imprisonment was "unfounded." He was flown back to Italy, no charges were made and this man has since not received any compensation or explanation as to why he was captured and tortured, by who and for what reason.
Essentially, if the CIA had anything on this man, you can be certain they would have prosecuted him in a Military Tribunal. Instead, he was let go, without so much as a 'sorry'.

This case has become the epitome of the CIA's "Extraordinary Rendition" programme in the "War on Terror". Extraditing suspected terrorists captured on the battlefield, to nations around the world that essentially don't uphold any conventions, treaties or moral standards; torturing them for years and then in most cases, releasing them WITHOUT charge.

Well this case is different. This time the CIA's mistakes come back to bite them in their authoritative asses. 26 Americans and 5 Italians, all proven to be CIA agents, have been indicted in a trial set for June 8th. Their charges range from kidnapping, assault, malicious wounding, torture and attempted murder.

Read the links below for more information.
Hopefully this sets a good precedent and casts a spotlight on the Agency's unfounded and illegal operations around the world.

And most importantly, it reveals the dangers of freely allowing 'cruel and unusual' interrogations methods to be applied to suspects. It breeds contempt for the US and sows the seeds for more vengeance.
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Abu Omar, or any illegally detained & tortured man did actually join an Islamic Fundamentalist group after being released, nor would I blame them.

You don't fight fire with fire. You don't triumph over you enemies by becoming as they are and disregarding your morals and principles.
You fight not only to save your life, you fight to save your principles. For the US to condone torture on any level, is to say that America's forefathers were essentially wrong when they scarified their lives to found a free and unsuppressed nation.

For specific info regarding the actual kidnapping operation, extradition and detention read this very extensive compilation:
www.expose-the-war-profiteers.org...

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
More good info about the whole Extraordinary Rendition Programme and the nature of "Black Sites":

rinf.com...

This article below covers the story of Khaled Al-Masri. A German Citizen, who like Abu Omar was also abducted, then flown to Afghanistan, and interrogated by the CIA for several months. Afterwards he was released, with no formal charges from the US. His extradition and capture was reportedly a "mistake" according to the CIA, because of confusion created by the similarity of El-Masri's name with the spelling of another suspected terrorist "Al-Masri".
Yeah nice cover guys

www.vanguardngr.com...

The term CIA seems to be a contradiction in terms nowadays, as they just have no friggin' clue who their capturing these days.
If you have a beard, attend a mosque and wear Turban your fair game according to the spooks.

[edit on 17/5/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Wow poor guys...and I bet there must be "few" of them still being eeerr "democratized" ?

Nice find stared + flagged

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

I hope they convict the guilty parties in this incident and set the stage for a serious house-cleaning by the Central Intelligence Agency. What a straw house the US has become, if these allegations are proved. (I believe them, but the courts need to find these individuals and the agency culpable for this to make any headway.) I cannot imagine how any of the individuals allegedly involved with this behavior sleep at night, knowing that they tortured an innocent man.

And people wonder what the US has done to deserve the wrath of the followers of Islam.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
This should be a clear cut indication to all those torture advocates out there who cannot for the life of them see the ethical or moral challenges with torture, as to why it would only do more harm than good in the long run for the USA.

You don't think Insurgent groups in Iraq or Palestine show young kids and recruits pictures of men being tortured at Abu Ghraib and say to them, "This is what they do to us, this is what they think of us."
These kind of actions just pour gallons of fuel onto the bonfire that is the Middle East.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Yeah, this doesn't surprise Me in the least. You would like this book I've read thoroughly on the CIA/Rendition program.

Ghost Plane: The True Story of the CIA Torture Program

Here's another one which talks very limited about Blackwater being involved in the Rendition program.

Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army

Here's a thread I did on Blackwater :

Blackwater : Right-Wing Conservative America, Whether You Like It Or Not...

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Good links

The history of Extraordinary Rendition I find troubling. When did it go from this unaccepted, unheard of Covert Program to Government Policy?
It's scary how quickly things escalate within the CIA; one man's ramblings are another man's agenda.

Either way, it's winning us no favors in the war on terror when sh*t like this keeps happening.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira

Good links

The history of Extraordinary Rendition I find troubling. When did it go from this unaccepted, unheard of Covert Program to Government Policy?
It's scary how quickly things escalate within the CIA; one man's ramblings are another man's agenda.

Either way, it's winning us no favors in the war on terror when sh*t like this keeps happening.

According to the "Ghost Plane" book, it was Clinton who made the Rendition program official. That is of course according to the author of the book. I'm 34 years old and I heard of the "disappearing" the Government would do back then which is a lot further back then Clinton.

Also, let's not forget the Nazi's and other atrocious war-mongering idiots in history have done this since the beginning of time. I'm sure, yes, even the Spartan's more than likely had their "disappearing" programs as well.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Yeah but the Spartans probably didn't extradite anyone to Greece or Rome to be tortured...

The whole Rendition programme seriously needs to be abolished. Like the rise of Blackwater or the Patriot Act it represents a serious breach of US Constitutional Integrity, and one step closer to true fascism and totalitarianism.
It's practical usefulness has yet to be demonstrated.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

You know, out of all the warrior class armies of the world, the Spartan's were My favorite, so for Me to say this next part is a bit sacrelgious.

You know that "Trojan Horse" thing with Troy? Well, the Spartan's were a part of that,...and they were going after Helen,...

Nah, I'm only kidding here. A little levity goes a long way. The CIA/Rendition program should be abolished altogether just like the high-profile assassinations (read sniper rifle at 500 yards) were eventually. Yes, I understand that "terrorists" do that to our people as much as our Government (had to say government, because I sure as Hell don't participate in that crap) does.

The thing is if we as a nation condone this action by our military or intelligence agencies then we as a whole become just as bad as the idiots we're trying to stop.

Beware when unleashing a monster to fight a monster that the second does not become worse than that which is was unleashed to slay.

[edit on 18-5-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

The thing is if we as a nation condone this action by our military or intelligence agencies then we as a whole become just as bad as the idiots we're trying to stop.

Mmmhm exactly what I conclude. :Up:
You don't fight fire with fire, "when fighting a monster you must be careful lest you become that monster you seek to eradicate."

What the difference between America and the Islamic Fundamentalists is, is that he US on the one preaches that it upholds all these values and liberties and freedoms for all but on the other, secretly takes a big dump on all that it's forefathers sacrificed their lives for; hypocritically a major shot in the foot.

At least Al-Qaeda isn't going: "We wish to establish a democratic and free state in the Middle East and live in harmony with the world."

[edit on 18/5/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

new topics

top topics

join