It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the Olympics be cancelled?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I hear many people talking about boycotting the Olympics or just cancelling them altogether.

With the Beijing issue and the late breaking Flu epidemic threatening many of their young, the possibility is quite real.

My question is...

Wouldn't the cancellation of the games be 'devastating for the Chinese economy?

There has been mention of much money being spent on 'face-lifts' and general upgrades in preparation for the Olympics, how much could they stand to loose by cancelling the Olympics?

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Grailkeeper

That is an interesting question. They would take a huge loss financially. Their national pride would suffer as well. I would be interested to know what the outcome of a canceled olympics would be.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The Chinese economy would suffer due to the amount that they have spent.

As for your other question can they be cancelled the answer is "Yes". The Olympics could then go ahead in one of the previous countries that have the facilities built ( most likely Athens ) . This was looked at in 2004 when they thought Athens was not going to be ready for the games in 2004 in which they were going to give it back to Sydney for the above reasons.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I will add will US corporate interest in China will allow to have their investments in the Olympic wipe out?.

This is not about China losing money only but also all the businesses that are to make big money with advertisement that already had invested part of that big money.

When it comes to money even if people start to drop like flies from diseases they will let the show roll all in the name of profits.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Well to answer the thread titles question.

Can the Olympics be cancelled?

Simple answer yes. History shows us that the Olympics have been cancelled 5 times:

1916 Summer Olympics
1940 Summer Olympics
1940 Winter Olympics
1944 Summer Olympics
1944 Winter Olympics

Of course all were due to the excessive violence from the World Wars that the Olympics would not have been held in the spirit they were intended. I guess it can be argued now that the we face a similar situation at the moment with many countries at war in some way, with threats of more happening very soon.

Should the Olympics be held? I do not think so, the World and China does not deserve to have the Olympics at this moment.

If they are cancelled, do not think China will sit back and take this lightly. This will be the event that awakens the sleeping giant.

[edit on 6/5/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Thanks Silent, for laying them out like that. Didn't realize they had been cancelled that many times in the past (makes sense as they center around world wars ).

I did notice that games cancelled in 1940, Tokyo - Japan, had an estimated budget at that time of 20.1 Million dollars.

I dear say that China's budget will dwarf that, leaving quite a bad taste in their mouth if cancellation is imminent.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Good point Marg,

I was only thinking of China's financial interests in this, but as you point out, many others are relying on these games commencing as well.

Of course, could they not, if cancelled in time, re-direct there interests to the next chosen location?

top topics

join