It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof that time travel will never happen

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Time travel has been an interesting topic for fiction authors, and certain conspiracy theories, but I have proof that it will never happen.

Its quite simple actually. If time travel were to be invented in the future then we would be seeing time machines come to our age to explore the past.

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
"Time travel is false because there is no proof that time travel is true"

That makes about as much sense as a member of an indigenous tribe saying "Bicycles and cars don't exist, or else we would have seen them."

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If someone came back to our time in a time machine i highly doubt that they would let us see it.

I'm sure a time traveler would know that there would be dire consequences if they were to show us the time machine.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Maybe thats what UFO's are

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
and if time machines have been invented in the future then who knows whether or not our past has been modified several times

Thats a scary thought for you!!

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiritfilled

wow I never thought of it that way. Time travelers probably are controlling our entire society and we would not even know it. That is a very scary thought.

Thanks for opening my mind up just a little more.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I would be highly skeptical of any claim that somebody was able to build a time machine. I would also be skeptical of anybody (like JohnTitor) that claimed to be be from the future. That being said, it is may be unlikely but not impossible that time travel will ever be invented.

For one thing, there may be strict rules put on future time travelers. They may be required to blend in with the locals and conceal their identity as being from the future. Even if a couple people broke the rules and told everyone they were from the future, who would believe them?

People in the future have little desire to visit the past. The past might be overrated. You may be thinking, who would not want to watch the pyramids being built, or hear Socrates badger the Athenians in the Agora, or hear Abraham Lincoln give the Gettysberg address. Witnessing these historical events first hande may not be interesting to the people of the future.

For one thing, many of these events would be ruined if large numbers of future travelers witnessed them as the mere presence of future tourists would destroy future events. For example, the Gettysburg address would have been "Four score, seven years ago our Forefathers....who the hell are all these strange people?!" Perhaps in the future there will be a strict prohibiition against time tourism to major historical events so as not to disturb them.

Historical figures become larger than life in the pages of history. Men become legends and godlike years after they die. Seeing historical figures first hand may be a disappointment. The real Socrates may have been just a cantankerous old man, unlike the father of all wisdom we read about in the history books. The real Buddha may not have been that wise and could have been a cranky fellow.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I'm fairly certain that if we ever develop time travel, we will have no trouble remaining invisible and undetectable, as well.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
time travel is possible due to Albert Einstein's Law and Wormholes, and how time and matter can change like within supermassive blackholes where matter doesnt exist, but there will never be proof of this as no one that we know of has ever been to a blackhole or though a wormhole..

Cobby

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Neiby

So people from the future would be able to view past events firsthand without being seen by us.

All it would take is one powerhungry person with a team of scientists to rewrite our past and make us slaves to his evil plan.

I dont think God would allow it though.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
What if time works in ways that are yet to be discovered? What if Time Travel functions in ways absolutely unrelated to popular depiction?

There can be many reasons behind an event's occurrence. There are just as many reasons why an event can't occur. I think that while the details of this topic remain unknown (especially to its chief researchers), we should not be hasty to conclude the existence or nonexistence of something -- as pointed out by Mr. Ree -- due to a perceived lack of 'evidence.'

Also, why are we so concerned about 'the past being changed'? If a time-traveler appeared here, s/he wouldn't be an anomaly; s/he would be a natural event in (this) time-line. All events that followed would also be in line with the happenings of this time line. Nothing would be 'changed' unless the viewer remembers an alternate time line. Even then, such events would be unique functions of the universe that they happen in: no anomalies.

We only perceive mistakes/accidents when we think we know all the rules. Remember Geocentricism was once accepted science.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
If time - traveling involves high costs/energy requirements, then it is safe to assume that a government - level institutions are the only ones capable of such developments.
People in the future ("upstream") have more advanced type of this tech then those who developed it first. So they will most likely will be capable and willing to prevent interference in the common past by those who are "downstream" to them, because it endangers their society. So logically i do not see that anyone can interfere except those who are close to end of the time.
If time travel is possible then there has to be some kind of "throughout the time" time - safety agency which prevents attempts to change the past. Agents have to be from all times/locations but leaders - those who are nearest to the "end of time".
At least this is how i see it. And i can understand why UFOs can be seen as non-interfering time-travelers.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
come on genius, if you had a time machine, would you go to the past and blabber to the whole world that you have it, thus compromising your own existence in the first place. then again if this did happen, maybe they changed our future and we dont even know it, or perhaps i may be wrong and someone actually has come back and compromised their future. damn my head hurts

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
it is possible to make a time machine but you will be living in a different set of laws which could been known in quantum mechanics or by other type of laws that are unknown, also there is a possibility of a parallel universe in which in our own time machine may takes to a different dimension that we haven't. For example let say that i traveled to another dimension every thing is the same in the dimension you use to live but the difference is that they are other set of laws at the other dimension. in which we don't know if time will be running or its frozen. the point i am getting to is that you will see your self in the future at another dimension and time so if you are at your dimension you will know what with your future

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The absence of evidence does not equal evidence of absence.

Have you looked for time travelers? Do you know how to look for them? For evidence of their presence? Have you exhausted every possible means to determine if they have made any impact or change on any portion of our world or species? I doubt it... I'm not trying to be a jerk but my point is you can't prove something by saying you haven't seen it.

There are also theories that say a time machine needs to be invented before we can receive time travelers from the future. In a sense, we need to build an airport or receiver for them to land on first.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
To be honest, when i read the OP's post i thought to myself "What a #head", but sadly what the #head says has some value.

I'm not sharing what that value is, because i'm not in a very good mood.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiritfilled
Proof that time travel will never happen

Its quite simple actually. If time travel were to be invented in the future then we would be seeing time machines come to our age to explore the past.

The thing is, in time travel, there is a theory known as (and I forget the actual words) 'ground zero.'

That basically means if and when we become capable of time travel, time travelers will not be able to travel prior to the point where the first operable time machine was invented.

I can't remember the logic behind it but that is one possibility to answer your argument. Others believe (and this is pretty far out there) that aliens are time travelers way up on the evolutionary scale who have difficulty reproducing, therefore they come back and this supposedly accounts for their fascination with our reproductive organs.

On a side note, I truly hope human beings never become capable of time travel. We're a race of meddlesome, destructive doofuses that will find a way to do more harm with the technology than good. We're simply not responsible enough to handle it.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Just a thought, but assuming a receiving unit wouldn't be needed for a time machine, it could be as simple as this: Maybe the first "stop" after invention of the time machine is AFTER 2007, so we could possibly expect a visitor at any time. And if it is our generation (timeline) that ends up creating it, we won't have any way of knowing at this point, but we will know then.

So I suppose it could be possible to visit yesterday without knowing about it today, but we would know in the future that we did. If that makes any sense. I'm very much suspecting our language will change as a result as well....

I do feel bad for kids in millenia post-time machine days having to learn to conjugate verbs in our by-then ancient language. Poor things.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Yea but 'ground zero' may have taken place 250,000 years ago.

It is possible time machines may have been invented many years ago.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
Yea but 'ground zero' may have taken place 250,000 years ago.

It is possible time machines may have been invented many years ago.

But then wouldn't that still negate the OP's argument? If time travel existed 250,000 years ago, then the statement 'time travel will never happen' is still incorrect.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join