It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AS90's for the Royal Navy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
According to an article in the MOD's 'in house' website, BAe are looking to fit the AS90 gun into the turrets coupling them to weapon mounts on existing hulls.

This contract is still in the study stage but according to BAe, the project is feasible, providing they can get round some recoil and heating problems.

Apparently, this is in response to the lack of range and 'kill' capability of the current 4.5 inch weapons that have been the 'standard' fit on Royal Naval vessels for the last 25-30 years.

It all sounds good to me - not being a naval expert, but I would have thought that a 175mm gun [as used on the M107 + plenty of ammunition]is so much better than the proposed L31 39-calibre, 155mm gun.

[edit on 27-2-2008 by fritz]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
How worthwhile this is depends entirely on what you want to use the gun for, if it will be used for fire support to amphibious ops then the AS90 could well be an excellent choice. I'll wager it is not as practical for destroying Iranian gun boats however...

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Naboo the Enigma

Well said.

Using AAA on gunboats would be very effective IMO. I'm sure ships have some of those still, right?

I don't know about the feasability of anti ship missles on smaller gunboats though. Maybe even A.T systems could be used to SOME effect?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
theres a video of a test of guns and even ciws against fast moving small boats - - and its rather eye opening to say the least.

top topics

join