It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick Mason Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Do Masons refer to each other as Brother outside of the Lodge? Do you call "Brother John", "Brother John" when you see him in the store? ""Brother John" what are you doing here?" Or is it just "John what are you doing here?".

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HizToyz

They do have a secret handshake; I don't know if they say brother but my guess is no.

Whether or not someone is a Mason is not a secret, AFAIK.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I use the term often out of the lodge unless asked otherwise. So far no one has ever objected.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
They refer to eachother as "fellow travelers".

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I know that it is no seceret and one should be proud to be a Mason (I have my application in). I was just curious as to "protocal" (God I love "" lol)

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by rationalgaze
They refer to eachother as "fellow travelers".

So you would say "hello "fellow traveler"?

To all thank you for your help.

I saw in one thread where someone said "he is not someone I would call brother". Is that possible? I mean I thought Masons had to accept all Master Masons. You ont have to like them I would say but dont you have to accept them as a brother? (And no I do not want this to become a Mason/Prince Hall debate)

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
To your original question, I'd have to answer "usually."

Originally posted by HizToyz
I saw in one thread where someone said "he is not someone I would call brother". Is that possible?

Sure. Masons are just people.... there are a couple of Masons I know (not in my lodge, but in my area) that I don't particularly care for, due to their lack of character. I'd probably even leave a lodge if one of them was there.

Originally posted by HizToyz
(And no I do not want this to become a Mason/Prince Hall debate)

In some states, there is mutual recognition, so its not an issue. In most states, both white and black people can join either one (Prince Hall or "regular" Masonry), regardless of recognition. Then you have states with backwards attitudes towards race (like mine), where blacks basically can't join a regular lodge, and there is no mutual recognition with the Prince Hall Grand Lodge.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It's interchangeable or depends on the person.

There is no set protocol. there are times I'll say "what's up brother" or for the same person I'll say "What's up dude" or I may just call him by his name.

However while you are in a meeting you will address him as brother.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HizToyz

I usually call people I "know" Brother.. I suppose I would have to know them to know they are Masons anyways..... but anywho

There is nothing at all wrong with calling other Masons brother where ever you may be.

So you would say "hello "fellow traveler"?

lol .. Never heard of this. I have heard a phrase similar to this, but no, I don't think we say "hello fellow traveler" to often.

I saw in one thread where someone said "he is not someone I would call brother"

Why do I get the feeling I said that.

Masons, as men, do not automatically like every Mason they meet. I have met guys or heard of guys in my area I would cringe to be seen around with, even though they are Masons.. Then there is your brothern you would give anything for, but to think that we like every single Mason regardless of personal character is insane. If your a Mason your still open to be judged by your actions.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I saw in one thread where someone said "he is not someone I would call brother"

Why do I get the feeling I said that.

Masons, as men, do not automatically like every Mason they meet. I have met guys or heard of guys in my area I would cringe to be seen around with, even though they are Masons.. Then there is your brothern you would give anything for, but to think that we like every single Mason regardless of personal character is insane. If your a Mason your still open to be judged by your actions.

I would hope though that (if the things I read about oaths on here and there are true) that even if you would crindge to be around them you would hold true and say nothing bad or allowed anything bad to be said about them. And that even if you cringed the entire time you would help him when in need.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I am a practical guy, I wouldn't answer the question on the basis that every situation is different.

No one said anything about not recognizing them as Masons, simply on the basis of character that no, not all Masons have to be friends with men they consider "shady" at best.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Well there is that I am thankful for...My wife already makes me be "friends" with people who make me cringe!

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
My father and his father were both Masons. In their lodge area they were addressed by their first and middle names. My father was know by most as "Jimmy". His lodge brothers referred to him as "James Oscar" even outside of the lodge.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
sounds like local traditions. We don't have any traditions like that around here, we just call each other by our first names. Or Brother, and if we address more then one Mason its almost always Brothers.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Hey All.

When I meet s "Brother" for the most part, outside of lodge I will address him as Bud, Dude, Hey You etc. Outside of lodge we are all fellow men. and IMHO the term Brother is reserved for insde the lodge, where the term Brother or Brethren has much more of a meaninig. I call my real brother Bro, or Bra, but that's probably not acceptable in lodge lol. As far as "Fellow Traveller " i concur with Rockpuck, we have a similar phrase, but don't spout it out when we meet a fellow Mason.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dredz

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Ive never called any other mason "brother"...neither outside the lodge nor within the lodge. I prefer first names. And thats exactly what it is: Personal Preference. There are some who prefer the "brother" calling.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I was out shopping once and had my ring on and was approached as brother by someone that I had never met,who struck up a conversation with me, and told me his lodge and lodge number, and invited me to come out and visit, but sadly I was just passing through, and was about 2-3 hours from home, and informed him of the fact.We had a nice conversation and went our way,I felt bad for turning down his invitation, but it was nice to be recognized and approached and to get to meet someone that I had something in common with despite the fact that I didn't know him.

new topics

top topics

join