It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Control and the Bible

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Walking Fox
You admit that the many other rights you have are going down the tubes, and that the "gun rights" crowd have pretty much just sat at home claiming that they are the force that stops those rights from being eroded.

I apologize if I come across as personally insulting you. I just find people who thump their chests about how greatly and crucially important it is for them to own a gun to be the largest merry band of idiots I have ever seen.

Second-biggest, my mistake. The "pro-lifer" bunch are the biggest.

Actually I believe the citizens of the country in general have ceded rights to the government, gun owners included. They have not exercised thier rights and so have had them watered down by government. I am not interested in preserving just gun rights but all rights. What intrigues me about the anti gun movement is the desire to interpert the other amendments so broadly for example burning the flag is speech, while I agree that burning the flag is protected speech why do we not interpert the 2nd amendment just as broadly as the first?

You believe your pistol is going to save you in a time of need. You're more likely to shoot yourself with it.
You think that an armed populace is what keeps all our other rights secure. Obviously not.
Probably the most use you get out of your gun is wasting money on ammo down at the range, and making yourself feel macho online. Honestly, any real reason to show a picture of your gun besides self-aggrandizement?

The "gun culture" stuff is just amazingly goofy. It's great you guys have a hobby and a sense of security (deserved or not), but really. Listening to you guys, one gets the impression that you consider yourself the spiritual heirs of the wild west - at least the wild west as portrayed by dumb movies made in the 50's and 60's, since most towns in the old west DID confiscate your guns...

[edit on 28-8-2007 by The Walking Fox]

Now what I dont understand is why you felt need to edit your post and go back to personal insults. Again without actually knowing me you question my ability with a firearm by suggesting I would shoot myself with it.
Your are correct that the most use I get out my firearm is sending ammo downrange and competion shooting and thats fine I hope it stays that way. I have no need to feel macho and the photo was included to make a point.

The only time anyone besides me is going to see that firearm is 1) in a picture or 2) if they are putting me or my family at risk of permanent bodily injury or death.

I could say the "hunting culture" is incredibly goofy to use your term.

I mean really is there any reason to hunt an animal for meat when we have stores? I mean its not really hunting is it, your life is not at risk and its not like a deer is gonna outrun a bullet. Dressing up in camoflague and spraying yourself with deer piss or whatever trying to bait a deer into an area where you been sitting in a treestand freezing your backside off for 10 hours waiting for the perfect shot.

Now to me personally I dont care wether you hunt or not and the previous statement was an example of how an arguement against hunting could be framed it is not my personal opinion of hunting or those who hunt.

You are correct many towns of the old west did confiscate firearms, they also returned those firearms upon leaving town because they understood that citizens had the right to self defense. As such when I carry today I fully expect to have to surrender my weapon upon entering a courthouse, airport, post office, other government buildings, and when I enter a property that has a no firearms policy as determined by the owner of said property.

Edited to add this recent article from a liberal newspaper in Connecticut.

Time to admit the 'gun nuts' are right

[edit on 8/28/2007 by DarkStormCrow]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Now let me see here. An avid hunter who recognizes that our rights are quickly being dispensed with, but who believes that the second amendment gives the government the right to bear arms rather than individuals. Right. Keep walking Fox.

<< 1   >>

join