It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby monitor picks up video from NASA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Ok, I found this so terribly hard to believe, until I read the article. What the heck is going on out there. A baby monitor, picking up Nasa?

This is absolutely hilarious:
Originally from article

An elementary school science teacher in this Chicago suburb doesn't have to turn on the news for an update on NASA's space mission. She just turns on her video baby monitor.

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 15-6-2007 by theutahbigfoothunter]

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Wow that is too funny!

Does anyone on ATS know how exactly the baby monitor was able to do that? Would they have to use similar frequencies?This isn't my area of expertise =]

Also, is this footage something that was publicly broadcasted?

[edit on 15-6-2007 by Cloak and Dagger]

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I heard about this on the news this morning.... awesome.

I would imagine the sales of the particular baby monitor will go through the roof. lol

They said they believe the transmission has something to do with the vid link going through the internet thus allowing it to be picked up on some frequency ( however that would work :puz

So does this mean, if you are computer savvy, you would be able to stream video directly from the space shuttle to your computer?

I see a future money maker here.

Cug

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloak and Dagger

Does anyone on ATS know how exactly the baby monitor was able to do that? Would they have to use similar frequencies?This isn't my area of expertise =]

Putting my amateur radio hat on..

When a radio (or TV in this case) wave is transmitted it will also have harmonics sent out both above and below the frequency it is using.

For example lets use AM radio. a station broadcasting on 1400 kHz can also be heard on 2800, 4200, 5600, 700, 350, etc.. (normally it's very week, but if the station is having problems it could be really strong.)

Another way for this to work is sometimes a strong signal will overwhelm a receiver and cause what is called images.

I'm not sure how this is happening exactly.. my best guess it's leaking from the cabletv system and the monitor is picking up an harmonic from that. (That's if they carry NASA TV) but such a leak is normally a pretty localized problem. Unless their cable company really screwed up I don't think it would work in two different locations.

It's not coming from the shuttle itself as when it's on the other side of the planet you would never get a signal.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
www.canada.com...

I heard that it was possible that a neighbor had a illegal cable connection that was causing this to happen but i cant find a link to that.

[edit on 15/6/07 by Pfeil]

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
As I said in an earlier post, could it be that the monitor is picking up the signal from a neighbor's wireless internet router? I have wireless internet in my house, and my laptop could pick up my internet connection from even 100 feet away. I'm not an expert, but is it possible for the monitor to decipher that internet signal into a video?

Or maybe a neighbor has one of those new "Slingbox" devices on their TV, and the monitor is picking that up:
en.wikipedia.org...
us.slingmedia.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Originally posted by CUG:

Putting my amateur radio hat on..

When a radio (or TV in this case) wave is transmitted it will also have harmonics sent out both above and below the frequency it is using.

That is great! There is something definitely going on here as far as reception. I can barely get the stations I need on my car radio. No, but seriously I do think brings up a lot of information on exactly how powerful the signals from space actually must be.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   
According to the article in the original post, NASA doesn't think the monitor was receiving the signal directly from the space station, but instead was picking up a broadcast of NASA-TV, which is broacast on some cable systems, Direct TV and Dish network, and is streamed on the internet.

[edit on 15-6-2007 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Originally posted by Soylent Green is People:

According to the article in the original post, NASA doesn't think the monitor was receiving the signal directly from the space station, but instead was picking up a broadcast of NASA-TV, which is broacast on some cable systems, Direct TV and Dish network, and is

I think the first eleven words, sum it up. Just kidding. Why are we to believe that NASA disclosing what they do and don't think is the scenario here. No offense, I like NASA, but why are we to blindly believe them. If in fact their TV channel is that unsecured what does that say about their program. And really, they are ridiculously underfunded. But I didn't think a baby monitor could pick up their signals. Whether or not it is from space.

[edit on 16-6-2007 by theutahbigfoothunter]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
She's using a video baby monitor, which is a computer based video surveilance system for working mothers. It allows you to access small video cameras placed around the home and connected to a router. There's obviously some glitch in the system that is connecting her to some internet based NASA video feed instead of her home cameras.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I have a point. If someone stole the entire HL2 source code through a hole in outlook express, can you even begin to imagine the # a hacker could bring down if it piggybacked something on that signal? I mean, should our space program really be connected to the bloody internet? Come on people...

new topics

top topics

join