It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bring back the thread views column

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
would server load be reduced if the thread views were only calculated once / 24 hours - as opposed to real time ?

The issue is database writes. No matter how often we show the total, we still need to write to the database each time a thread is viewed.

AH , my bad - i niavely assumed that displaying the totals was the " sever load "

thanks very much for the quick response / clarification

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Actually I have given this much consideration. IF (and that is a big if) S.O. were to reinstate the "Views" column, it would be awkward to try to do it with any kind of accuracy. Since he had deactivated that, thread views were longer being counted. Now if he were to put it back the way it was, the number of views shown will always be offset by the number of views that any particular page had gotten during the views column "downtime". Therefor, it would not reflect how many times that thread had been viewed.

And since the admin most likely would not want to post misleading information (and having a thread views column with erroneous view count would be misleading, as it is not accurate anymore), the best thing to do would be to not reinstate it at all.

That's what I now think of this, even though I do miss that feature.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I just noticed that the views column is back!

Thanks a lot, that's great.

[edit on 29/7/07 by Implosion]

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
Actually I have given this much consideration. IF (and that is a big if) S.O. were to reinstate the "Views" column, it would be awkward to try to do it with any kind of accuracy. Since he had deactivated that, thread views were longer being counted. Now if he were to put it back the way it was, the number of views shown will always be offset by the number of views that any particular page had gotten during the views column "downtime". Therefor, it would not reflect how many times that thread had been viewed.

And since the admin most likely would not want to post misleading information (and having a thread views column with erroneous view count would be misleading, as it is not accurate anymore), the best thing to do would be to not reinstate it at all.

That's what I now think of this, even though I do miss that feature.

There go's that theory out the door, seems all records of views are in order.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join