It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Arrested On Mount Everest By Chinese Authorities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Americans Arrested On Mount Everest By Chinese Authorities

slam.canoe.ca

Three Americans and a Tibetan-American were detained on Mount Everest on Wednesday as they called for independence for Tibet and protested against the Beijing Olympics, an activist group said.

The protest was organized by Students for a Free Tibet

The fourth person detained by Chinese authorities was a cameraperson, said the group's executive director Lhadon Tethong.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I bet there are going to be many more protests regarding China's occupation of Tibet in the near future. The Olympics in Beijing next year are going to be used by both sides to further their agendas.

The chinese want the Olympic torch to pass by Mount Everest on its way to Beijing. I guess that's why these activists chose to protest there.

What are going to happen to these Americans now?

slam.canoe.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   
How can you hold a protest on Mount Everest? That must be one of the most inhospitable places to hold a protest -- it's like holding a protest at the South Pole or something...

I imagine getting arrested must have been part of their plan, since no one would have known about it otherwise.

As far as their fate, they'll probably just be roughed up a bit and deported. I don't think China would want this to gain any more publicity than it already has by keeping them there.

edit:

I almost forgot Al Gore is already planning on a protest in Antarctica, maybe it's not that farfetched after all.

[edit on 4/25/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

they'll probably just be roughed up a bit and deported.

Yeah, I guess you're right...

Here's a map of Tibet. Mount Everest 8848 m. The chinese want to take the Olympic torch to the top. Risky stunt... If something goes wrong with this torch, it'll be a major blow for China. It's dangerous enough already to climb this mountain. And now they might have to fight "Yeti's" as well on their way to the top? All this prestige and glory which will be lost if they loose the Olympic torch...

join