It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very wierd architectural concept

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Ok, I don't know quite how to describe this, so I'll just post the picture and quote the pertinent explanatory portion of the article and then post my comments.

www.inhabitat.com...

Ever imagined that a building could hover about the ground - floating in mid air? Architect Joseph Cory thinks the above scenario might be possible in the future, using electro-magnetism. In his Electro-Magnetic Skyscrapers project, the structures support each others through their electromagnetic fields.

“By using magnetic fields as a construction material there can be infinite vertical and horizontal expansions due to the final liberation from gravity.”

Using magnetic fields as a construction material, the skyscrapers would also integrate built-in energy systems from photovoltaic cells on the sides of the cube to wind turbines, air shafts forcing wind into energy, water conservation tanks, and more.

I don't see how this can be powered by anything short of a fusion reactor.
I could be wrong, but the sheer mess that is a magnetic field management in an open environment would be nearly impossible to regulate to the point where you'd get that kind of Gravity defying equilibrium. Seems more like a house of cards then a real sustainable solution, but at least people are thinking out of the box!

If, on the off chance this does prove to be feasible, would you live in a city built of structures like this? I don't believe I would...

[edit on 18-4-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The REAL question is, if it is floating, how do you get inside?

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
"Beam me up scotty"
Seriously though, you'd be able to land VTOL aircraft and dock zeppelins with the structures. Zeppelins would be the most practical IMO.

new topics

join