It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gonzales' top aide abruptly resigns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Gonzales' top aide abruptly resigns

seattletimes.nwsource.com

WASHINGTON — The top aide to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales abruptly quit on today, almost two weeks after telling Congress she would not testify about her role in the firings of federal prosecutors.

"I am hereby submitting my resignation to the office of attorney general," Monica M. Goodling said in a three-sentence letter. There was no immediate reason given, but her refusal to face Congress had intensified a controversy that threatens Gonzales' job.

Asserting her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, Goodling had rejected demands for a private interview with a House committee investigating the firings.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
More fallout and probably the newest fall guy (girl).

seattletimes.nwsource.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 04:03 AM
link   
A Trap Once Sprung

What makes this particularly poignant is the inference that "taking the fifth" in this situation is directly related to what happened to Louis "Scooter" Libby.

In light of how that turned out, and the similarity between these two investigations (i.e., the question of actual illegality in both cases is dubious, at best), I can see how someone in Ms. Goodling's position could reasonably be concerned about being caught in a perjury trap herself.

The effect on Congressional investigations remains to be seen, but I can't see this as a good sign.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I posted this update in another thread this morning, and I am glad to see it getting more attention.

The problem here is that AG Gonzales lied to Congress about his role in the firings. Ms. Goodling was White House liason to the DOJ. Her testimony could shed light on how far up the chain of command the order to get rid of these prosecutors came from. President Bush has said he did not order the firings, and he is unhappy about the way his AG explained the situation to Congress. Should Ms. Goodling be compelled to testify, it could prove to be another major embarrassament, at the very least, for this administration.

Is this the diplomatic form of cut-and-run?

top topics

join