It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Circumcision is recommended to fight HIV

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
That's true, male circumcision reduces the transmission of all kinds of pathogens. In cultures where it's commonplace, the incidence of cervical cancer is also lower.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by airrikka
xEphon: I think it's incredibly ignorant to say "don't have sex with HIV+ people." Many people with HIV don't know they have it, and let's face it, people cheat on one another. Your spouse could be having an affair with someone HIV and then, like magic, you have HIV. Newsflash: It is possible to get HIV from having sex with someone you only assume doesn't have HIV.

Its hardly ignorant. Newsflash! Most likely in a situation where your partner cheats on you, its already too late. That being said, do you honestly think that being circumcised it going to magically save you from getting aids at some point in the relationship before its over? If your going to have sex, its only a matter of time before you get aids if your partner has it.

Read the article you'll find that they base their argument off of 3 cases. Thats not even worthy of an empirical study. Based off of those whole 3 cases they argue that there is compelling evidence that circumcision may reduce the risk of contracting HIV...to me thats hardly "compelling." Thats not even statistically significant. But you know what is? Wearing a condom!

So once again. If you dont want to get aids. Dont have unprotected sex.

apc

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
You would be wise to review the previous study I referenced:

www.suntimes.com...

Nearly 8,000 men in Kenya and Uganda were randomly selected to be circumcised immediately or wait two years before circumcision. All received condoms and safe sex counseling.

Among circumsized men, HIV infections were 53 percent lower in Kenya and 48 percent lower in Uganda. Results were so convincing researchers halted the studies early and offered circumcision to every volunteer.

Yes, wearing a condom reduces the chances of contracting HIV vaginally from almost zero, to virtually zero. Hoo-ray.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
Its hardly ignorant. Newsflash! Most likely in a situation where your partner cheats on you, its already too late.

What makes you think that the damage has been done? People who cheat can switch partners. It doesn't mean that there is only going to be one person they cheat on their spouse with. People can start affairs later on in the marriage. It is possible to contract it from a cheating partner, end of story.

That being said, do you honestly think that being circumcised it going to magically save you from getting aids at some point in the relationship before its over? If your going to have sex, its only a matter of time before you get aids if your partner has it.

They are saying that the risk is lower. That doesn't mean you're safe from it. Unprotected sex with an HIV infected person = obvious risk.

Read the article you'll find that they base their argument off of 3 cases. Thats not even worthy of an empirical study. Based off of those whole 3 cases they argue that there is compelling evidence that circumcision may reduce the risk of contracting HIV...to me thats hardly "compelling."

Just because this is a small study doesn't automatically discredit it. I've heard of this many, many times prior to this article, and even more so concerning women and their risk. Different sex, but the idea is the same. More places for fluid to be contained, more certain type of skin, more risk of tearing.

Thats not even statistically significant. But you know what is? Wearing a condom!

No one is denying that wearing a condom is effective. That's a well known fact. The study doesn't have anything to do with condoms.

So once again. If you dont want to get aids. Dont have unprotected sex.

Hmmm, quite a different statement than what you were saying before. This one has some truth to it. Well done.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I dont see why your having a hard time comprehending the fact that if your partner cheats on you and contracts aids the chances of you getting aids is extremely high. Its really very simple.

My argument was and will continue to be that if you dont want to get aids dont sleep with someone who has it. YES i know that you dont always know who has aids which is why this article is pointless. They are spouting this article as a means of protection outside of using a condom. Whats the point of that!? Hardly your choice of whether to have unprotected sex with someone is going to lie in the fact of whether they are circumcised or not. If your worried about it dont have sex with them otherwise wear a condom.

once again. having unprotected sex is playing russian roulette. being circumcised gives you 5 bullets instead of all 6.
im done.:bash:

[edit on 30-3-2007 by xEphon]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by airrikka
It is possible to contract it from a cheating partner, end of story.

Originally posted by xEphon
I dont see why your having a hard time comprehending the fact that if your partner cheats on you and contracts aids the chances of you getting aids is extremely high. Its really very simple.

Read my posts, please.

apc

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   

They are spouting this article as a means of protection outside of using a condom. Whats the point of that!? Hardly your choice of whether to have unprotected sex with someone is going to lie in the fact of whether they are circumcised or not. If your worried about it dont have sex with them otherwise wear a condom.

Actually it's fairly obvious this article, and others like it, are directed at developing nations where condom availability is low, most men are uncircumcised, and infection rate is high.

In these countries, it can be damn near impossible to find a condom. But there's always a knife around.

Whining about how people should just use condoms is, as has already been pointed out, blatantly ignorant.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Blatantly ignorant? OK! And trying to apply a study that is focused on an African nation where condom use and availability is low to the general public is not ignorant? How about I do a study that shows 70% of children are under nourished in Africa and say that because of this the world needs to feed their children more...

And where do you see whining? All i said was that to the average joe, circumcison has little to no effect on whether or not you will get aids. To argue otherwise is ignorant because last time i checked this was not Africa and condom use is available to us...

Seriously im done. :bnghd:

[edit on 30-3-2007 by xEphon]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join