It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defining Torture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
there has been so much talk about torture lately that I felt compelled to get some definitions to make it more clear.

Some people find it torture just to be detained

Others find it torture (for them) just to be handcuffed

the term "water boarding" has come to light where the "victim" is led to believe he is going to be drowned

abcnews.go.com...

there is also sleep deprivation as torture

Marine Corps Boot camp is torture (I know from personal experience)

getting beaten daily is a form of torture

not knowing what time or day it is, is mental torture (some cults use this)

having electricity applied to various parts of your body is torture

Not being able to watch your Favorite TV show is torture to some

plastic bags over the head are used as torture

when the term "torture" is used I think it needs to be quantified a bit better, is it life threatening torture, mental torture, or just mild anguish

what do you consider torture, and what in your opinion is "too much" the parameters are that the end result in death is NOT the preferable outcome

[edit on 27-3-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Torture is a relative term. One man's torture is another man's pleasure.....whahahaaa

Torture is normally a tool of fear, using pain and suffering to get a desired
response or behaviour in a subject.

But I think that sleep deprivation is considered torture by the majority. Just ask people with insomnia.

I consider shopping with some girls a torture.

The more serious ones, imprisoning the movements/freedom of a subject and constantly applying fear, pain and suffering to the subject until the satisfaction of the torturer.

Too extreme a torture?

Cutting off all the limbs of a subject, removing the eyes, tongue and private parts and keeping the torso of the subject in excrement leaving the head exposed. Keeping the subject alive and in this state as long as possible.

It is said to have been done before in anicent China by cruel emperors, not sure how true is it.

[edit on 28-3-2007 by ixiy]

join