It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot swarms 'evolve' effective communication

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Evolving Robots

Robots that artificially evolve ways to communicate with one another have been demonstrated by Swiss researchers. The experiments suggest that simulated evolution could be a useful tool for those designing of swarms of robots.
Roboticists Dario Floreano, Sara Mitri, and Stéphane Magnenat at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne collaborated with biologist Laurent Keller from the University of Lausanne.
In contrast, in simulations with bots not closely related and when group performance was less important, some robots evolved misleading behaviour. Some even produced signals that lured other bots away far from food.

I thought this was a pretty interesting article. I've always believed that nature was the best model for what works and what doesn't. Studying and using nature's way just seems like the way to get good results. Of course I do see the potential dangers of what might come out of it in the distant future if we are not careful.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Yup, if simple robots like these are already able to develop deceiving behaviour thats directed at "other robots that are of another race/make/model" imagine what a full scale human level intelligent AI could do to its makers.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
Yup, if simple robots like these are already able to develop deceiving behaviour thats directed at "other robots that are of another race/make/model" imagine what a full scale human level intelligent AI could do to its makers.

Those are exactly my thoughts and fears.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It's simulated evolution. All the "evolving" is just pre-programmed. No worries.

new topics

top topics

join