It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the effects of a nuclear war...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I am pondering different "end of the world" scenarios and I was wondering what would be the effects of a nuclear war on Global Warming. Anyone care to theorize?

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
A nuclear war on global warming?? Sorry but ive got no idea what you are talking about... Can you please explain it a bit more?

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Large scale nuclear war would cause serious cooling.

For more info google "nuclear winter".

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I imagine it would speed the process up. Nuclear bombs reduce an awful amount of radiation and heat "radiates" from radiation.

[edit on 13-2-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I believe the theory goes that all the thrown up ash and dust results in a layer that deflects the sun's light and cools down the planet. This is where the term Nuclear winter comes from, and the similar Volcanic winter and (I think) Cosmic winter (after a meteorite/comet strike).

I can more easily explain it with volcanic winter, there are more examples of it (thankfully). The ash is blasted into the stratosphere, creating a blanket of material that reflects the sun's light, preventing heating and cooling down the planet. For an example, after Tambora's eruption and that of Krakatoa, which caused global cooling, and the Year without a Summer. However both of these were quite short lived effects, and would probably only slow down global warming.

Worldwide nuking would probably be longer lasting cooling effects, but I think I prefer heat or moving further north to slow painful death from radiation.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Look at the weather from the 50s till the mid 70s after we let off over 900 nukes in nevada. I'm guseeing the ruskeys probably did the same. Things cooled down until the 80s. Lots of record lows from that era. We really didn't study weather much till WWII and japan was putting balloons in the jet streams woke us up.

mikell

top topics

join