It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too Much Space For Aliens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   

EARTH may not be visited by aliens for a long time to come, according a new mathematical model which suggests it would take billions of years to probe the universe.

How does this guy know about how long it would take a civilization millions of years ahead of us in technology to explore the universe

Read More
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Replaced quote with 'ex' tags for external material

[edit on 20/1/07 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
the best naswer to this would be what i heard a sciencetisit say once.

given enough time and money we will get out there, no question, all it takes is the determination to do it.

plus he is only talking about the 3d universe, where we know there are limits.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Mathematics doesn't take luck into account

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
And when cars blazed down the streets at 10km/h they thought humans would turn into liquid goo if they travelled any faster.

We have overcome so many "limitations" the past century I dont consider point-to-point instant travel in space that strange of a concept.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I have a very mundane reply to this.

Us hairless apes, with our primitive technology and awful bureaucracy, have been able to detect extrasolar planets, some of which are terrestrial (not gas giants, but rocky).
Also, we are planing on increasing our ability to detect terrestrial planets in the near future.
www.terrestrial-planet-finder.com...
This is current technology. It isn't sci-fi or magic.
Without our distracting bureaucracy, politics, and war, this technology could even further increase our ability to see life sustaining worlds.
By launching four of these TFPs and placing them in solar orbits, it would give us a tremendous quadroscopic view of the stars we are examining.

I'm theorizing that any species, in a direct line of sight of Sol, that has gotten past this military-industrial hurdle that we currently face, has almost certainly spotted earth.
AND, for every century's worth of technological advancement these "aliens" may have achieved, it becomes only more and more probable that they have seen this planet.

I'm also assuming that life sustaining planets are a bit more rare than gas giants, so if aliens have seen earth, they most certainly have tried to visit, if for nothing more than curiosity.

ERRRR... the woman is distracting me as I rant...
I'll finsih quickly and then I'm going to the gym, maybe I'll explain my insane point of view more later.

I've thought about this a lot and I've come to two conclusions. Either life is completely unique to earth for some yet-to-be understood reason.

Or, life is quite common and robust, and therefore advanced civilizations have already visited us (that's a big leap, but I've thought about it a lot).

I reached this conclusion from a general relativistic point of view; I haven't even considered fringe science in my conclusion.
FTL of any kind only ups the ante even further.

top topics

join