It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British MEP joins far-right bloc

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   

A former UKIP MEP is to join a new group in the European Parliament which includes some of Europe's most prominent far-right political parties.

Ashley Mote, an independent MEP for the South East of England expelled from UKIP in 2004, will join the "Identity, Tradition and Sovereignty" group.

UKIP said it was "appalled and horrified" by Mr Mote's decision and called on him to resign his seat.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Shocking. Thats the word. I live in the South East and I do not want a racist representing my area in the EU. We all know that UKIP is dead as a party, but i am shocked that some of its members are flirting with the far right.

UKIP said they now speak for the "majority of Britian", but we are not racists...unlike some of its ex-members

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Would it be worst if this MEP had joined a far-left party?

If he had joined an alliance of far left parties, it would not have warrented little if any news coverage.

Mr Mote is fully entitled to change the party he belongs. In the UK, we elect a person not a party and he must have recieved more votes that anyone else in the South East. They were electing Mr Mote and not the UKIP

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP
They were electing Mr Mote and not the UKIP

As a member of UKIP, standing for UKIP values, not for far right views. Some of the groups in that European alliance are based upon neo-nazi's views, UKIP are right for asking him to resign from his seat.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

They were electing Mr Mote and not the UKIP

As a member of UKIP, standing for UKIP values, not for far right views. Some of the groups in that European alliance are based upon neo-nazi's views, UKIP are right for asking him to resign from his seat.

If you apply this rule here, then any one who changes parties during the life of a parliament, should also do the same.

We do not elect parties but people. Many people I talk to say they vote labour, Tory, Liberal, etc fail to understand what they are doing when they vote. We elect members of parliament not parties.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Many people I talk to say they vote labour, Tory, Liberal, etc fail to understand what they are doing when they vote. We elect members of parliament not parties.

times are changes,
most voters vote for the party, not their representive. Representive democracy is declining in this Country.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Many people I talk to say they vote labour, Tory, Liberal, etc fail to understand what they are doing when they vote. We elect members of parliament not parties.

times are changes,
most voters vote for the party, not their representive. Representive democracy is declining in this Country.

I agree with you 100%, infinite. But the tag line of this forum is "deny apathy"

Maybe one person will read this thread and will understand or want to know more about our system of representation.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   
our system of representation is unfair and far from democratic. it needs HUGE reform, both the Tories and Lib Dems are looking into ideas on reforming our system (including seperating the executive and the legislative)

top topics

join