It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inside camp X-ray

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 04:06 PM
link   
For full story:

www.channel4.com...

Mohammad Sagheer:
"We had no idea where we were being taken. Only when we got there did the soldiers tell us it was Cuba. Of course I was surprised. I'd been blindfolded. My hands were tied. They covered my ears. My legs were tied. I couldn't move or hear anything. It was very hard.

"In the beginning in jail we were not allowed to talk, to give a call to prayer and to pray. We were given ten minutes to finish our food and they'd take it away if we hadn't finished by then. Only later after we had been on hunger strike did they extend our mealtime to 30 minutes.

"We once gave a call for prayer and after that we were punished. This was a difficult time. They beat us. They hit us on the head. Grabbed us by the neck. Some people were unconscious and they were taken to hospital."

He says those who continued to show defiance were imprisoned in an isolation centre they dubbed "India Block". The cells were air conditioned - which Sagheer hadn't come across before, and which he took to be part of the punishment.

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This thread may be two decades old, but Wikipedia describes in detail the history of Camp X-Ray prior to it becoming a temporary detention center for captured terrorists:

Camp X-Ray was originally built during Operation Sea Signal to house "excludables" in the mid-1990s when Fidel Castro allowed any Cuban wishing to do so, to cross through the Cuban-operated minefields and enter the base. Excludables were held in Camp X-ray near Post 37 before being sent back to Cuba. Excludables included troublemakers from the regular camps, where the United States was processing Cuban Asylum Seekers (CAS) for emigration to the United States. The US government was at the time allowed access to Cuban records to process these people. Over 100,000 CAS were processed in the mid-1990s and allowed to enter the United States.

new topics

join