It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USAF Declassifies Elite Aggressor Program

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   
We now have several former Red Eagle registered on the Constant Peg forum.

Head over to www.constantpeg.com if you want to interact with them.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by fulcrumflyer

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I get so tired of people arguing back and forth which airframe is better and 99% haven't flown a single minute in any of the airframes they are talking about.

I'm very impressed the F-16 is still holding up so well.

Keep up the good posts. Your knowledge is needed on this forum.

Have you ever been in an F-18 vs F-16 scenario? What was the outcome and your thoughts on which aircraft is the better dogfighter? Always wondered if the USAF made the right decision selecting the F-16 over the F-18.

Thanks again.

[edit on 10-9-2007 by on_yur_6]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
on_yur_6,
For a good, even-handed read on the Viper vs the Hornet, I recommend doing a search for the Jun 2003 edition of Flight Journal magazine. I recommend typing in "F-16 vs F-18 John Tougas". An article was written by Commander John "Toonces" Tougas about his experience flying the F-16 as a Navy exchange pilot with the USAF. John and I are good friends and we served together for nearly 3 years. He arranged for me to fly the Super Hornet. He prefered the Hornet as that is what he was comfortable with and I prefered the Viper for similar reasons.
There are a couple of inaccuracies in his article. The Viper HUD is certified as the primary flight instrument and has been for many, many years. The Block 40 and 50 F-16 have color displays and the seat is actually reclined at 30 degrees. The other evaluations are a matter of personal taste.
In any case, I have flown against the Hornet in all the fighters I have flown and Toonces' assessment is correct. The Hornet is a good slow-speed fighter (as are the F-15, F-5 and MiG-29[the MiG-29 is kind of like an F-18 on steroids]). Fighting against the Hornet in the F-16 meant I had to be wary of his slow-speed, nose-pointing capability. I had to drive the fight to my advantage in sustained turn rate and my ability to out accelerate and out climb the F-18. It was a tough fight and each pilot had no room for mistakes.
I hope you find the article. We did give Toonces a large ration of grief regardless.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join