It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PowerPuffs too political for Americans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The Final episode of Powerpuff girls, a show about crime fighting little girls, was never aired in the US. It was inexplicably banned from US television and can only be seen on youtube, google video, or various other sources online.
Warner Bros. has been scrambling to get these videos removed from the internet claiming copyright violations - even though they neither own powerpuff girls, but also the video was never aired in the first place.

In the episode the powerpuff girls are tired of living in such a horrible sad place and a gnome offers to make the world perfect and safe - for the price of their powers.
The girls relent and give up their powers and the gnome eliminates all the evil in the city, and erects a gigantic flower/tower and demands that everyone worship him because of his great deeds.

The Professor (the man who created the girls), sings a very political song.
The first verse goes as follows:

Can't you see the people in the streets,
Lined like cattle waiting for the butcher of freedom
Sacrificing their hopes and their dreams,
Or their individuality
For freedom!
Do the people have to be freedom beef?
Do the people have to be freedom beef?
For safety on the streets!

At several times during the song the professor is seen holding an butchering axe while either saluting to the US flag, or at one point holding it near the white house as if the axe was a flag.

There are several references to giving up freedoms for safety in the episode. The world teaches us that too much freedom and liberty can allow for terrorism to go unchecked and 'destroy our freedoms'. The Powerpuff girls sing another song in the episode that references yin and yang, and opposites, finally ending with "There's no good without the bad"

The song can be seen here (unless youtube bends to warner bros and removes it)
Part 3 of Powerpuff Girls, Professor's and Powerpuff Girls' songs

I think the government squashed this episode - meant to be the series fanale - because it would be too moving, and because it paralleled the world we are living in today.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Your link isn't working. It currently refers to "http://can't%20you%20see%20the%20people%20in%20the%20streets,/" which for some reason I believe it's not a real website...

I searched for the video you meant to post, but couldn't find it...?

Edit:
Did you mean this one:
The Powerpuff Girls - See Me Feel Me Gnomey Part 3

I must agree that the Political undertones are extremely heavy, but in the end it's very patriotic - not so much anti-government... Well, I suppose it could be interpreted anti-government with the current freedom issues? Interesting nonetheless!

[edit on 3-11-2006 by Gemwolf]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I don't think it was anti-government, but it definitely was trying to parallel giving up freedoms and individuality for security. Especially how George Bush shouts stuff all the time about terrorists attacking freedom, and when the professor in the cartoon is shouting freedom, a few times he wiggles his hands in the hair like he's throwing quotation marks around it.

Edit:

That's odd that the link is that when I copy and pasted the link... Strange... o.O

[edit on 3-11-2006 by Tsiv]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Wow, I didn't think I'd ever have any respect for that show, but now I do.

Now as for whether or not it's anti-patriotic, far from it unless you're up for giving up your liberty for "security". In my opinion that was one of the most patriotic television episodes of anything ever shown. They didn't specifically come out and specify any particular leader or any political party. All they did was support one of the underlying principles of America, that you should not give up your freedom without giving the offer a second look.

new topics

top topics

join