It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US federal judge declares boating illegal in all US navigable waters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Okay America have you guys totally lost your minds, well not you guys here.
That was my first thought, but this is just crazy don't you think.

US federal judge declares boating illegal in all US navigable waters

www.ibinews.com...
By IBI Magazine
"Even though this action seems like a horrible pre-April fools joke, it is very serious," said Phil Keeter, MRAA president, in a statement. "Because essentially all the waters and waterways of our country are considered navigable in the US law, this ruling declares recreational boating, water skiing, fishing, waterfowl hunting, and fishing tournaments to be illegal and the public subject to jail sentences for recreating with their families."

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I read that earlier in the day today at Rense....Its just INSANE !! but who will ENFORCE it ?? No One !! Guess how many cops, judges, senators, mayors,etc... own luxury boats and cruise on them every chance they get.....TONS !! The idiot who made this ruling should be disbarred for life !!

[edit on 20-9-2006 by Alpha Grey]

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I don't think there's much to this. I live in Wisconsin and boating is huge around here. I haven't heard a thing about this. I can see where it would be a problem if recreational boats are getting in the way of cargo boats or something, but how often does that happen? Maybe that's why the judge ruled this way in the first place? There are also a lot of inland lakes that wouldn't be considered navigatable.
I think this guy is just panicking and causing a stink. This is not something that would be enforced unless someone was causing a huge problem. We also have laws that you can't drink while driving a boat, but that doesn't stop people from doing that either!

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Silly shortsighted rulings are made often, and just as often, overruled upon the showing of the simple logic that an esteemed judge might miss...

Wouldn't you hate to be the judge, when another judge calls and says: "uh, BTW, your ruling was stupid... did you not consider that all waters are navigable?"

I suspect that this judge will be getting that call soon..

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   

grants exclusive and private control over the waters of the river, outside the main shipping channel, to riparian landowners

Patently absurd. Any land under tidal waters is the property of the public, let alone land that is well under water. Thats why private communities can't block beach access, and there are no legal claims to private beaches.

new topics

top topics

join