It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coast Guard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Im sorry if this question isn't in the right spot, feel free to move it.

I am thinking about joining the Coast Guard, I am 18 and just graduated. I live on the Gulf Coast In FL. I was wondering how the Guard works, will I be able to work near home or will I be shipped? Can I choose to work here...? ANY information you have would be awesome, that is contrary to public belief. Thanks

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
i like coast gurds there so on the alert

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I was in the Coast Guard from 1990-1994, so my info may not be that up to date. Where you are stationed isn't too specific. When you join, there are several 'packages' you may be offered. Guaranteed job, or guaranteed location, for example. Although, the guaranteed location isn't too exact, you can't pick, say, Florida. You are guaranteed a district . Say, Florida to Maine (just for example, I forget the exact districts).

The Coast Guard has some big boats, so you may be out for a while, even on the smaller boats, you are going to be busy. Underfunded and undermanned, the Coast Guard falls under the DHS now, and they are busy!

It's hard, long, work, but it's good work! I had a great time in the Coast Guard. The only thing is, they have a very small selection of jobs to choose from, so try to get something you can use on the outside world. When you join, you have no job, you are a general Fireman (engine room) or Seaman (deckhand) and if you want a specific job, sometimes you have to wait years and years for a slot to open up. That is true for jobs like say, Public Affairs, or any specialty job. It is easier to get one of the more basic jobs, like say Boatswain's Mate, but something that is not easy to use on the outside world.

Then again, if your recruiter gives you a guaranteed job, you may not like it once you join and see the other jobs in action!

Any other questions, just let me know.

[edit on 29-8-2006 by curme]

join