It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 Detainee Released After Nearly Five Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:10 AM
link   
articles.news.aol.com...

USA! USA! USA! #1 Violator of Human Rights is in our grasp! Just a few more cases like this and we'll beat do-ggoder China and Iran!

Guy's innocent, abused for 5 years, then released. Never charged with a crime, yet was "detained" for 5 years.
The guy didn't even know 9/11 happened until he was told yet was "detained" for 5 years. Good job USA, really make those people love us by taking it to them like a NAZI takes it to a Jew.
Ok, here's more links.
www.washingtonpost.com...
www.infowars.com...
www.archives2006.ghazali.net...

And here are cases of others being "detained" for YEARS then let go after being abused for several years just because it turns out they were innocent.
www.refuseandresist.org...
www.newyorker.com...

[edit on 14-8-2006 by Theory Man]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I just dont understand how you can detain someone and not charge them with anything. Arent there any safeguards in the law to protect against things like this?

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lecter
I just dont understand how you can detain someone and not charge them with anything. Arent there any safeguards in the law to protect against things like this?

Yes there are. However, this adminstration doesn't seem to care what is law and what is not. They do whatever the hell they want and make up laws for it later.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Stop comparing America to the Nazis. Seriously.

What they do is set a date for a trial, delay the trial for several months, and then when its time to try him, they delay it once more. They do that for as long as they want.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
But they never took him to trial, they just held him, like all the people in Gitmo. They don't delay trials because there are no trials. No lawyers, no phone call, nothing! How is that not like NAZI Germany? Because they aren't forced to wear badges before being sent to detention camps?

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
There is no safeguard, The congress essentially abolished it, crumpled those safeguards, shreded it, and used it as toilet paper, when they made the Patriot Act.

Welcome to the future of America.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I can't argue with the absence of due process here, but it was clearly rescinded/dismissed, post 9-11, in cases involving National Security.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theory Man
But they never took him to trial, they just held him, like all the people in Gitmo. They don't delay trials because there are no trials. No lawyers, no phone call, nothing! How is that not like NAZI Germany? Because they aren't forced to wear badges before being sent to detention camps?

I'm generally a nice person but are you a moron? Can you really compare anyone to the Nazis without making what the Nazis did seem less devastating? Military law is different from what you're used to. Get used to it. It's always been that way.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
"Perhaps I've missed something in one of the linked articles, but exactly Where is there Any mention of Abuse? Detained for 5 years, Yes. Abused ... Where, When, How?" 12m8keall2c
It says it in the first link, obviously someone didn't read the links!

In Brooklyn, he was locked down - minus his shoes - 24 hours a day between FBI interrogations. When he continued to deny any involvement in the attacks, agents threatened to send him back to Algeria. As a deserter, he was certain he would be tortured.

And

Prison guards, he said, dispensed humiliation in steady doses - rapping on his cell door every half hour to interrupt his sleep, stepping on his leg shackles hard enough to scar his ankles, locking him in an outdoor exercise cage despite freezing temperatures, conducting arbitrary strip searches.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Wow. Just wow.

5 years of his life.. and it looked like it was the prime of his life.

What is our country doing?

Never did i ever thought i'd live to see such times.

I don't know about you guys, but before i used to be soOoo proud of my country.

But lately, i've lost so much faith in it.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akraites

Originally posted by Theory Man

I'm generally a nice person but are you a moron? Can you really compare anyone to the Nazis without making what the Nazis did seem less devastating? Military law is different from what you're used to. Get used to it. It's always been that way.

Isn't this the way it started in Nazi Germany. What do we have to look forward too?

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The guy wasn't an innocent.

He was a deserter from his country's army.

He was in Canada and in the United States illegally.

Rough treatment? Yes it was.

I know I may be the only person on this board that feels this way, and I am probably going to get flamed for saying this, but I think that anyone who is in this country illegally should be treated this way.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
No, whaa, it isn't. This man wasn't exactly "innocent".

top topics

join