It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

morphing black cloud?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone has seen this phenomenon before? I was flying home from LA to Sacramento and was looking out the plane window and I noticed not one but two different occurrences of this weird looking "cloud." The reason why I made this post is because I already tried to find what this might be on google etc and did not get any results.

Basically the cloud was very strange in that it was in-between cloud layers, there was a top layer and a bottom layer of clouds and the plane was in the middle it seemed.. anyways it was a lone could that seemed like it was a lot smaller then the average. At first I thought it might be something different because when I first noticed it, it seemed very dense almost like an oval shape..but as I watched it, or as the plane went by it, it looked like the perspective on it changed or something because it stretched out and became more elongated. I saw this happen twice on the flight home..if anyone has seen something like this before or has any info on this please post a response or u2u me.

~captinofcats

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
So nobody can give me any info on this? or at least a link so i can read up on it myself?

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Sounds like a minor funnel cloud to be honest. Or just a puff of trapped smog.

It certainly does not sound unusual.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
clouds

Are these the clouds?
These have generated much speculation about UFO's etc. but are a commonly seen cloud.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
clouds

Are these the clouds?
These have generated much speculation about UFO's etc. but are a commonly seen cloud.

No blaine those were not the clouds, the clouds i saw seemed to be quite small and were very very black, like jet black. Thats what caught my attention the most..these clouds were separated from all the other layers of cloud cover and both times appreared at first to be an oval shape, then when i watched them closely they would slowly thin out into a tapered whisk almost that was horizontal...they did not seem that large i would say maybe 10 feet accross or so when they were oval then they would stretch out to like 30 -40 feet or so..does that help?

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
i was looking around recently and i found something similar to what i saw but not exactly alike.. here is a link to the image. The could i saw however was amongst other clouds that were at a higher level then the weird morphing black cloud.

arts.tom.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by captinofcats

arts.tom.com...

That,s freaky and I would think it would be rare to get such a concentration of moisture into such a confined area.

It looks more like a drifting smoke blast

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   
check for recent fireworks in those areas, or for burning plants.

I think I've seen wht you are talking about from the ground.

Cloud filled days in southern Lousiana, while we burn sugar cane.

In this, you get a side view.

When there is no wind, or when the plant hasn't been smoking long enough to hit levels where you gotta dela with wind sheer (for whatever reasons), you'll see a dark concentrated cloud that's bleeding up into the overhead clouds, slowly but surely. Once it hits a layer of high wind, it makes something like a cigar shape.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jlc163
Once it hits a layer of high wind, it makes something like a cigar shape.

this sounds very similar to what i saw..i wish i could find a picture of it online though i havnt really seen anything like it yet the pic i linked is the closest but the shape was different..it was just as you said cigar shaped..but that was while it was morphing..it actually started out as almost a round ball and then thinned out to a very thin elongated cigar shape..i saw this happen within a min or two from a plane window.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   
It just depends on how dirty the burn is.

And the shape is more likely from a controlled burn.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Lol, to me this just sounds like a cloud and nothing really unusual.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   
cool clouds

scout through this. see if you see similar
some cool lighting strikes too

or look up scud clouds

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Unusual atmospheric anomalies and uncommon cloud structures will occur due to the numerous wildfires that are currently burning in California.

California Wildfire Incidents
www.inciweb.org...

Ice crystals form on top of pyrocumulus.

Lenticular clouds

Many unusual clouds at the The Cloud Appreciation Society

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
How high was it, perhaps it was a swarm of some sort of insect ?

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
It didn’t really look like anything anyone has posted so far. I’ve also looked through all of the cloud links you guys have provided and nothing seems to look the same. The altitude was quite high and the really strange thing about this cloud is that it was on a different layer then all the other clouds around it. Usually there are several cloud layers in the sky depending on what altitude you’re at. It was a bit below the normal cloud layer i was in a plane looking out my window and i saw this weird looking lone black shape ...it looked like it was vapor or gaseous in substance. it seemed almost like it was round or oval but then as we began to pass it in the plane it started changing shape and became more elongated it did this pretty quickly so I’m not sure if it was just a change in perspective or what. It was just a weird experience that I’m trying to figure out.

Also the cloud was not very large i dont think ive mentioned that..it was very small compared to the other clouds in the upper layer it almost looked like an oil stain

[edit on 22-9-2006 by captinofcats]

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This sounds like the things on this page

www.orbwar.com

it is about Ufo sightings, more specifically aircraft which turn into, at times, morphing cloud shapes.

I think there is a morphing one, but I can't find it at the moment.

top topics

join