It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sort of a pivotal point in my post highschool life - would appreciate some advice.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Alright, here's the deal. Lately, I've been having a lot of second thoughts about what I'm going to do with my life. Originally, I figured I'd get a degree in global business, start my own small business, then have my degree to "fall back on." I still like the idea of owning my own business, but I really need to kick it in gear as far as college goes. The last year was basically generals, so it won't hurt me to change my degree now. See, I've never been good at Math. I can get A's in almost any other class, but Math just kills me. It's something about working with imaginary letters and numbers that are supposed to represent something...I dunno. I always wind up with C's. Now, for the global business degree I originally wanted, I have to go up to Math 212. I got a C in Math 151, which was college algrebra. 212, I believe, is either pre-cal or straight out calculus. I really don't believe there's any way I will pass this class, and I was thinking of changing my degree that would better suit my personal interests. I was thinking about switching to communication for my major. When I looked up job opportunities for a communication major, just about everything listed was something I was interested; however, I don't know how serious employeers will take a communication degree.

After thinking about this for a while, it made me start thinking about what I really want to do with my life. I always felt like whatever I do, I really need it to be something either makes a lot of money (not necessarily a millionaire or anything, just something I can live on and still travel, have fun, etc.), or really makes a difference in the world or to people in general. Yeah, that's probably what everyone wants, but I'm trying to make a decision here...
I've never had any interest in just finding some job because I had to, and working for the same low wage my entire life. I've considered the military (Still am considering), but decided I want to see what I can do with my life first. One of the main problems is the vast field of things I'm interested in. Just off the top of my head, a bunch of different things I would like to do come to mind. I like animals a lot, and nature, so I've always thought it would be cool to do something with wild animals... I think if I had to pick one single dream job out of anything, it would be something along the lines of hosting a show. A radio show, a TV show, I wouldn't really care. I've pretty much established most of this stuff as unrealistic, which is why I wanted to go into business. I've always excelled in things like writing, marketing and advertising, I work really well with people, etc. I'm also pretty physically fit and into fitness. Not bragging, but it could be an asset to a career I might look into. My parents have suggested becoming a physical therapist, and I'm considering that...

Anyway, I know this is all seeming very pointless right now, but I guess I'm just pouring my thoughts out and looking for people who can relate to me or maybe give me some advice. I feel pretty lost as far as my future goes right now, and time is seriously pressing. Has anyone here majored in communication, or perhaps can give some insight into well paying jobs for communication majors? Anyone just wanna give some advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   
consider teaching.

sure, the pay isn't the best, but look at this...

if you teach overseas for the military, you get free housing, and tax free income, plus all of the DoD benefits.

it's an idea.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Dont put so much preassure on yourself dude, life is supposed to be fun.

relax and take stock of the things that could make you happy, dont follow the line because its whats expected of you.

cheers

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I don't have much in the way of career advice except for don't worry about it so much. The average person changes careers four or five times in their lives.

Take my sister for example: She is a legal secretary, a dispensing optician and has her teaching certificate. Which of these does she use?

None of them. She's a waitress because she likes to work evenings and makes huge money in tips.

Re: Communications - The only person I know that has a communications degree works in an advertising firm writing commercials. Previous to that he worked for a local tv station in the newsroom.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Thanks a bunch for the replies guys. I'm still not totally sure what I'm going to do, but I've realized that there are a lot of growth opportunities in the Starbucks I work at. I could get a degree and get a career in corporate if I wanted to. I'm considering that. I already love my job, so why not? I'm sure a corporate position would pay enough

As for teaching - I've definitely thought about it, but I don't think it's for me

new topics

top topics

join