It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taiwan To Test Missile Capable Of Hitting China

page: 1

join
share:
df1

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The US has has expressed its concerns to Taiwan about its plans to test a missile that can reach mainland china. The mainland currently has missiles in positions that can hit Taiwan.

www.washingtonpost.com
TAIPEI (Reuters) - Taiwan plans to test-fire a missile capable of hitting China, alarming the island's main ally, the United States, a cable news network said on Thursday.

The Hsiung Feng III, developed by Taiwan's Chungshan Institute of Science and Technology, has a range of 600 km (360 miles) and is accurate to within half a meter, the online edition of cable news network ETTV (www.ettoday.com...) said, quoting unnamed military sources.

That range would put areas along China's coast from Fuzhou in Fujian Province to Nan'ao in Guangdong within striking distance of the missile, the Web site said

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This could be the start of a new cold war where the superpowers fight it out by proxy.

Is this is a US response to the refusal of the Russians and Chinese to support a harsh UN resolution rebuking North Korea for its missile tests? It sure seems like it, despite the official concern the US expressed to the Taiwan government. As I recall both China and Russia made similar stern comments to North Korea.

Related News
China Post
Forbes

[edit on 6-7-2006 by df1]

[edit on 6-7-2006 by df1]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
It is a cold war by proxy...atleast it seems that way....Its interesting to note that N Korea is a member of the Shanghai cooperation organization....and Taiwan is an "indpendant/dependant" nation....its the war of whose got the bigger genitals all over again...except this time its like Look my buddies B*&() are bigger than yours....great for Defnse contractors nothing but fear mongering for the rest of us.

God bless ICBMS...without them how would our governments keep us in line.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Elsenor:

I'm glad to meet somebody else who recognizes the machinations of a new cold war. that's pretty much what I've been saying every since I started posting here.

Taiwan is the obvious proxy to counter-balance North Korea. As the next U.S. President takes power, look for American defense contractors to do a lot of business with Taiwan.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The Cold War was never over; we just relaxed too much because we were so gullible as to assume competition and pride is easily given up. The way I see it the Russians and Chinese have North Korea and Iran and we have other countries to act as a counter balance. They’re playing a dangerous game though, Japan could decide it needs a bigger and more projected military than it currently has and they surly do not want that.

[edit on 7-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

df1

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
The Cold War was never over; we just relaxed too much because we were so gullible as to assume competition and pride is easily given up.

My take on the cold war is that it is not now, nor has it ever been about competing governments. It is about keeping the citizens of the respective governments so concerned about an external threat that they are blinded to what is going on internally. This allows each of these governments and their corporate patrons to steal from the citizens with impunity, secure in the knowledge that their gullible citizens are chasing the latest false boogeyman presented by the news media. By all means continue following the news, but realize that its purpose is not to inform you, it is to manipulate you and what you think.

This latest episode of "the cold war show" features a conflict between the chinese/russian proxy north korea versus the taiwan/us team. This is a game show kind of like "survivor", except all contestants win. Taiwan wins the right to buy all sorts of weapons from the us military industrial complex with the foreign aide provided by your tax dollars. And north korea gets to do same with the russians and chinese.

What a relief, I feel safer already.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Yes, the Taiwan missile announcement timing was sooooo "coincidental" to the firings by north korea. I immediately thought the same thing, that this was the U.S. dig back at China for not keeping their proxy, north korea, under control.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I see some valid arguments here. If, in fact, this is a continuation of the earlier cold war...I would feel safe. too much of the dipomacy involed favors the West, and since that's where I live...I would feel safe.

My one general concern, regardless, is what American politicians will do here at home in the name of this "crisis." The excuse to centralize even more power plays right into my pet thesis.

I do think it's most likely that America "asked" Taiwan to test their missile. Ah, but it's almost good to feel the reassuring cloud of cold war descend on the nation once more. That was an attaempt at sarcasm.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Now that Japan is considering some form of action against North Korea, where does this put our attitudes regarding Taiwan? The Japanese have enough capability right now to inflict damage on North Korea. This includes a deliberate and precise potential to strike NK missile. With all this in mind, how does this affect our thinking in regards to Taiwan?

new topics

top topics

join