It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the new weapons of the millitary

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well ABL's are right now still extremely experimentle, however we have shown that they have a promising future as anti-missile countermeasures.

I've also heard of lasers being used to replace the phalanx (think that's what they're called) turrets on some aircraft carriers and cruisers

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frost2k6
I've also heard of lasers being used to replace the phalanx (think that's what they're called) turrets on some aircraft carriers and cruisers
Do you mean the chaingun or gattling gun turrets? Those are called Vulcan turrets.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I know that there have been rumors of an airplane so called the "Aurora". It is believed to go 7 times the speed of sound. However, there have been no pictures displayed to the public.

[edit on 20-4-2006 by Shooter_99]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
In my Popular Science magz, there was an article about laser warfare. Airplanes use a free-electron laser or solid-state laser to burn holes into the propulsion system of the enemy craft. That's offensive, the defensive side has lasers for defense against any enemy missile. There has been talk of a civilian type anti-missle system for jet liners to protect them from terrorists.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigx01
This piece of 0.05” thick S.S. was cut with 400W of power using 250 PSI nitrogen at a speed of 25 inches per minute (IPM). Notice the clean, non-oxidized edge.

That is a very thin piece of metal, still a few hundred Watts as I said and not a few Watts, plus not cut by a laser and rather at a slow rate at that. I was wrong though about ABL not being a MegaWatt class laser.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SupremeGeneral

Originally posted by Frost2k6
Do you mean the chaingun or gattling gun turrets? Those are called Vulcan turrets.

Are you sure about that? Phalanx CIWS

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by imwithstupid
just post here if you find any thing about new weapon or experimental weapons the millitary have plz post it here

[edit on 12-4-2006 by imwithstupid]

have u hird of the MX8? its a new assult weapon for the army, it can be changed from a carbine into a compact and into a sharpshooter

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shooter_99
I know that there have been rumors of an airplane so called the "Aurora". It is believed to go 7 times the speed of sound. However, there have been no pictures displayed to the public.

their is now pics avalable, it has an engine called a SCRAMJET (Supersonic Combustion Ramjet)

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
They've had that same scram jet in the Aurora since probably the early 80's late 70's, this is nothing new, unless they are going to declassify it we should talk about other New Weapons.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Another new weapon for the US military is the NLOS (Non-Line Of Sight) cannon. The demonstrator is built by BAE Systems and is completely autominous (?). It's 155mm and will replace the BAE Systems Paladin and M103.

The demonstrator has fired over 2,000 rounds.

I think the chassis is based on the SEP program and has hybrid-electic drive and rubber linkless tracks.

[edit on 8-5-2006 by planeman]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   
There is a show on tonight on the History Channel or Discover at 10 pm pst(west coast) on new weaponry, just thought I'd give you guys the heads up! As far as I can tell this is a new show.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I'm sure this has been addressed before but how effective is the laser at cutting glass mirrors? What about a defensive layer of glass mini lenses designed to defocus the beam? I'm just trying to think of some obvious countermeasures a vehicle or aircraft might use against a high powered laser threat.

Also Its my understanding that even if the laser is 1mw class at long ranges the beam is much weaker because of energy loss mostly due to ionization of the air.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join