It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deserts in Maine:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   

A couple of years ago I had a coworker from Maine, who told me that there is a mysterious desert growing in that state. I know, seems impossible, it's up by Canada but that's the story. Well, a short time ago I saw it on TV on one of those Unsolved Mysteries shows or some such. It's true there is a desert growing there. Why? Well, alot of people think it has to do with a curse that was put on someone's property a long time ago. (May your land turn to dust or something like that.) But the desert appeared and is still growing...

Anyone else heard anything about that? How about you folks up in Maine, any additional info/thoughts?

- Forestlady

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I think that you are refering to this
Desert of Maine

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Thanks Kenshiro. I had not read about the cause being poor farming practices. If nothing else, it's a good example of why we need to not monocrop, etc. in order to not destroy the land.

- Forestlady

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Nothing is paranormal about the Desert of Maine.

Read: portlandme.about.com...

or here, its from the link above:

The Desert of Maine

A Natural Phenomenon
When you think of Maine, one of the things you probably DON'T think of is the desert. Yet less than half an hour from Portland, tucked away amid forests and rolling hills just two and a half miles from Freeport, is a natural phenomenon known as the Desert of Maine. Severe soil erosion caused by poor farming practices in the late 1800s and early 1900s revealed this 40-acre sand dune, which geologists believe was left behind by a melting glacier 11,000 years ago.
The sand is rich in mineral deposits, which makes it interesting to rock hounds. Gems are scattered in a section of the desert for kids to find on Gem Hunts.

You can walk the marked nature trails that wind through the woods along the edge of the sand dunes or take a guided safari tour. These narrated coach tours leave every half hour.

A farm museum containing antique farm tools, a world sand collection, and sand paintings is housed in the 217-year-old barn that was once part of the Tuttle farm in the late 1700s.

I think curses are just superstition.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
You know i have lived in farm country all my life and I havent heard of bad farming resulting in deserts.Also how does this revealing of a desert happen in regards to it getting bigger.What would attract more tourists i wonder.Old cursed land turns to desert.Or amazing getaway to natural desert resort. Well i personally have not tilt towards either but just giving an idea?

top topics

join