It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

System Wars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Competition is what drives people to greatness.

Sony and Microsoft are hitting it hard to try and out do each other and we're going to reap all the benefits. PS3 and 360 fans shouldn't be slinging mud at each other, they should be rejoicing.

This heated competition is going to bring us some of the best games ever. Not just graphically but they're going to be more fun. Gameplay is going to be better.

The people who really seem to know what they are talking about aren't ready to make a real solid call yet but think the PS3 should be marginally more powerful than the 360. Sony will have an advantage in this department because of their late release.

Regardless of who comes out on top when the dust settles, I'll be sitting in my chair playing whatever game excites me at the time. I'll probably have all three of the new systems in my entertainment center by that time anyway.

Competition is what made America great and thats why the games are only going to get better.

[edit on 11-12-2005 by alternate]

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
What in the world makes you think that gameplay's going to get better? Not to sling mud or anything, but history absolutely does NOT support that view. Gameplay has taken a backseat to graphics for years now. It's gotten to the point that many new games are so incredibly and mind-bogglingly dull that they're simply not worth playing. Sure they look all pretty, but they're just dull, dull, dull.

Do you have some inside information that leads you to assert that gameplay's going to get better, despite the fact that it's (for the most part) gotten nothing but worse for years now? If so I'd love to hear about it. I'd be thrilled if game developers started investing more time, money and effort into improving gameplay, but that doesn't seem to be the way the industry is going.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I think I explained why I feel this way. It is the spirit of competition. This doesn't seem to be a price war at the moment. I think the overall quality will be improving because of pressure from above.

Sony and Microsoft NEED to produce blockbusters like Grand Theft Auto III and Halo. Those games were tons of fun and people still can't get enough. They'll both have good games with stunning hi-def graphics but what really sells a system is GREAT games. Both these companies know this. There is all the incentive in the world to make them better and I think they will.

Now what is a great game? That depends. I wouldn't trade games today for the games of fifteen years ago. I think there have been many improvements in gameplay. So I guess it really depends on what your opinion of great gameplay is.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
good point there, the gta series isn't renowned for good graphics, but for good gameplay...

top topics

join