It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H5N1: A clear signal from the Federal Government?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Top Bush aides test bird flu preparedness

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Warning an outbreak may be inevitable, the White House on Saturday conducted a test of its readiness for a feared bird flu pandemic and said federal agencies fared "quite well" without offering any details.

Cabinet secretaries, military leaders and other top officials took part in the four-hour tabletop drill, which officials said was designed to assess the level of federal preparedness for a possible outbreak of bird flu or another deadly virus.

"This is about being ready for what inevitably will come," Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt said.

But the White House refused to divulge details about the exercise and the test results, and officials said afterward that it was clear that state and local governments would have to assume a leading role.

"Quite frankly, I think we did quite well," White House homeland security adviser Fran Townsend said of the federal agencies that took part in the exercise...

Approximately 20 officials took part, including Townsend, Leavitt, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and Marine Corps Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, White House spokesman Trent Duffy said...

"The exercises are just that. It's a drill, it's meant to test, it's meant to push federal resources to the breaking point and to ensure that we're prepared, that we identify gaps and then we plan to fill them. We accomplished that this morning," Townsend said.

She said the biggest lesson from the test was the leading role that state and local governments would have to play in responding to a pandemic.

"This is not going to be a federal answer to the problem," she said. "The federal government has got a support role to play. But frankly, I think, really very important is the state and local efforts."

More...

Be afraid! IMO, this is a definite signal...

On the one hand it is laughable that 20 people in our government could sit around a table for only four hours and call that pushing "federal resources to the breaking point...to ensure that we're prepared" and calling that a "resounding success."

On the other hand, Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt called the pandemic an "inevitability."

Why would they be secretive about the results???

Something smells....

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Isnt this incredible. I posted on the same thing and havent had any nibbles so i came to yours.

As i said in mine, i think his is to show us that this is very real, and for us to go out and start stockpiling on "Tamiflu"- Rumsfelds preferred drug.

Sales must not be so good..

Besides, Loam, how does one get a clear signal from this government?
Is it clearly a lie or clearly the truth?

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Isnt this incredible. I posted on the same thing and havent had any nibbles so i came to yours.

Should I post in yours??? (BTW, MODs can close this thread and we can go there...didn't realize it had already been posted...)

As i said in mine, i think his is to show us that this is very real, and for us to go out and start stockpiling on "Tamiflu"- Rumsfelds preferred drug.

Sales must not be so good..

Most drugs that might kill you do tend to have languid sales....

Besides, Loam, how does one get a clear signal from this government?
Is it clearly a lie or clearly the truth?

You know, I can't argue with that at all.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
You can keep this one open...its only points and i'm not greedy.

I dont beat around the bush, Loam. I dont think anyone could look at this little chicken circus and not be suspicious.

[edit on 10-12-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I believe a massive outbreak is inevitable.

But it does not mean it has to be this year.

I cannot see what they could get done in a 4 hour meeting with coffee

new topics

top topics

join