It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: David Cameron Elected As New Conservative Leader

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
As expected David Cameron who has been dubbed 'the Tories Tony Blair', has been elected the new leader of the Tory party. The postal vote of 253,600 tories closed on Monday. Many have opposed the fact that many of Camerons close allies are under 40, but Mr Cameron has promised to combine 'youth and experience' in the shadow cabinet.

news.bbc.co.uk
The Old Etonian, an MP for only four years, has promised a new era of "modern compassionate Conservatism" to inspire a new generation of voters.

The election result was declared at the Royal Academy in London by Sir Michael Spicer, chairman of the 1922 committee of Tory backbenchers.

Party members' postal ballots were sent out a month ago ahead of a series of televised debates and private hustings. The votes were counted on Tuesday by the Electoral Reform Society.

Attention is now shifting to who Mr Cameron chooses for his shadow cabinet, with supporters of Mr Davis demanding a "major role" for their contender.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It was obvious who was going to win...

Mr Cameron was by far the better candidate but still has a very hard job to do if he intends to turn around the publics view of the Tory party.

In my eyes it is an impossible task at the moment and just like Smith and Howard, Cameron will struggle to keep the backing of his fellow Tories.

Related News Links:
www.cameroncampaign.org
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 6/12/2005 by MickeyDee]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Good for him...

I still won't vote for any of the big three parties in the United Kingdom though, all run and owned by the same people.

Viva La Democracy!

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Damn right Odium...
Whilst the media goes on about this as a great chance for change,the very same companies are funding and running all of the UK parties.
I'd love to see a genuine politician,but sadly these are few and far between these days.
If we got a leader who really wanted to change the uk for the better,without the usual corruption,lies,and propaganda,i don't think that leader would survive the first week.They'd probably be found dead,on top of a mountain or something...

However one thing to Camerons credit,he does want to try to sort out the drug laws in the uk.This certainly neds to be looked at ,as the UK war on drugs has been as succsessful as that in the USA...By that i mean that more drugs get into britain each year,more people are locked up in prison,more crack gangs and gun crime,and a black market worth 2 billion a year.
Depending on your viewpoint,this has either been a massive disaster for the govt,or a great sucsess...Either way it is very bad for the people of Britain.
I dont have an answer to the drug problem,but i do know it must be looked at.
I wonder what DC thinks about ID cards/database? AH,but it doesn't matter,for it is not he who decides on such matters,even if he does become PM.

Down with Surveillance Society.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
However one thing to Camerons credit,he does want to try to sort out the drug laws in the uk.This certainly neds to be looked at ,as the UK war on drugs has been as succsessful as that in the USA...By that i mean that more drugs get into britain each year,more people are locked up in prison,more crack gangs and gun crime,and a black market worth 2 billion a year.
Depending on your viewpoint,this has either been a massive disaster for the govt,or a great sucsess...Either way it is very bad for the people of Britain.
I dont have an answer to the drug problem,but i do know it must be looked at.
I wonder what DC thinks about ID cards/database? AH,but it doesn't matter,for it is not he who decides on such matters,even if he does become PM.

Down with Surveillance Society.

The one and only reason I won't vote Conservative. They have too much of a "conservative" view on Cannabis....

Oh and the economy....don't trust them with that one....

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Stumason:
Iagree with you on both points:i don't want folks being locked up for smoking a joint,but Labours policy is just a joke-connveniently topping up there private prisons with drug abusers,whilst the drug trafficers get away with murder.
The way they have dealt wit5h cannabis is totally spineless,now we have kids who think its legal to smoke,and cops not really sure,some will arrest for possesion,some won't.....Great policy.
And the torys...hmmmm,i have zero confidence in them on the drug issue,but at least DC is willing to admit that things need to change.
On the economy,well the world is being primed for another great depression(not just the UK)so thats what will happen....those poor Globalist bankers/oil barons/pharma companies have got to make a buck somehow...

Why won't governments legalise and regulate drugs?? Because we'd all find out that they've been selling them all along.Thats why.

A good example is the Brits in China,the opium wars-when the Empire sold tons and tons of smack to the chinese,in order to fund their wars in other countries...very honourable.
Or another example ,although overseas is the USA Intel Importing coc aine into black America in the 80s to fund their covert wars in central america.Dual purpose:keeps the black man down,and generates huge profits for the war machine. Read the words of Gary Webb for alot more on this subject.

And what about the afghan opium trade?Is it a coincidence that theyv'e doubled their harvest and exports since the US/UK invasion?
If its not a coincidence,then why do USAID run water irrigation plants in the very valleys where opium production is highest?

Enough ranting off topic,sorry.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   
David Cameron trying to sort out the drug laws in going to be a tricky situation. He has refused to answer the question as to whether he has used any drugs in the past, a story which will be regurgitated by the press every time he makes a statement involving drug laws.

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.mapinc.org...

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Im sure i heard on bbc radio5 that the labour party has got a massive dossier on Cameron and his drug taking past.....well i bet Cameron is rubbing his hands in glee,coz we all know how accurate labours dossiers can be!!

top topics

join