It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French TV boss admits censoring riot coverage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I know people complain about the US media being left-wing but it seems the problem is even worse in France. They are now censoring footage of the riots because it may give the right-wing political organisations a boost in polularity.

guardian

"Politics in France is heading to the right and I don't want rightwing politicians back in second, or even first place because we showed burning cars on television," Mr Dassier told an audience of broadcasters at the News Xchange conference in Amsterdam today.

"Having satellites trained on towns across France 24 hours a day showing the violence would have been wrong and totally disproportionate ... Journalism is not simply a matter of switching on the cameras and letting them roll. You have to think about what you're broadcasting," he said.

Mr Dassier denied he was guilty of "complicity" with the French authorities, which this week invoked an extraordinary state-of-emergency law passed during the country's war with Algeria 50 years ago.

But he admitted his decision was partly motivated by a desire to avoid encouraging the resurgence of extreme rightwing views in France.

I gues they don't know their job is to report the news, not distort the news for the benefit of politics. This is a major event and they should not be downplaying this.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Excellent catch, Ace.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
woa to bad I don't watch tv I was wondering Why I don't see much coverage on this
most of my "France Roit News" came from ATS

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
That's why I hate ppl like Bill O' Reily and ppl like this guy, just so ppl in other areas won't get involved and we won't find out the true story or anything close to it.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Besides the protesters, there are a group of "agitators" in the crowd who are planning actual violence rather than just burning cars. Watch for these maggots in the coming days. They are trying to spin into a violent protest, rather than burning those cars. Right wing or left wing, they are both the same, they just give people the comforting thought that they have actual choices to choose from. Vive le France.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by IComeWithASword
Besides the protesters, there are a group of "agitators" in the crowd who are planning actual violence rather than just burning cars. Watch for these maggots in the coming days. They are trying to spin into a violent protest, rather than burning those cars. Right wing or left wing, they are both the same, they just give people the comforting thought that they have actual choices to choose from. Vive le France.

Pray tonight and this morning, may the lord above save france and all the ppl in it. Which is really sad, b/c I've never been really religious. Poor people, I hope no elderly and little kids get hurt or cats.

top topics

join