It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing Academic and/or Scholarly Literature.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Greetings everyone.

Having been among the academic community for some time, I was wondering if anyone has been published academically or scholarly via a book or Journal, etc.?

The reason I am asking is because I have been considered for two book projects, both historical and academic/scholarly. Thus far, one deals with American/US diplomatic recognition policies from WWII to 1979, covering diplomatic recognition criteria, international law, foreign policy interests and how they affect diplomatic recognition, how humanitarian issues affect diplomatic recognition, etc. The subject matter will vary but will deal with Israel, China, Taiwan, North Korea, and among other nations.

The other book will deal with a US Ambassador/Diplomat to China and his diary. It will basically be a dairy turned to book situation. The diary is archived at and maintained by Georgetown University. The diary covers the ambassador's observations in China, meetings/talks with Chinese officials, and his concern for the religious persecutions that were taking place [and still are] during his 1960s tenure.

In asking what I have, I am basically seeking a general insight into the writing, researching, and publishing processes for which others who have written and published material could give as guidance advice. Both books may become co-authored, being I am working with a couple Professors [PhD's.] on these two projects.

Comments or thoughts welcome, and thank you for your imput.

seekerof

[edit on 25-10-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Yes, I've been both journal published and book (chapter) published. I've also worked on fiction where I was a cowriter with someone who was more famous.

Expect to do a lot of work.

You'll save yourself a lot of hassles if you do a DETAILED outline. Make it long, make it almost paragraph-by-paragraph. You'll lose your energy and focus at some time and if you've got the outline, you can slog right on through in spite of lack of inspiration and everythig else.

U2U me if you need details/other suggestions.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I was hoping you would respond, Bryd.

I will abstain from giving my reasoning as to why, but I somehow knew that you had done some academic/scholarly writing.

Thank you for your knowledged imput.
I will most certainly keep what you have mentioned in mind.
Part of me is a bit worried, no, scared would be a more proper term.

Quite frankly, I was surprised when asked.
I have come to realize that it was an honor that those above me would think or feel that I was of worth to do such, to the point of offering themselves [the professors] as mentors and co-authoring, if need be. Made me feel good.

Thanks again, Bryd.
I just hope I am up to the task and their expectations.
Time will tell, I suppose.

seekerof

[edit on 25-10-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I have no advice, scholarly or otherwise, to offer.
But, I wish you luck on this venture.

I hope you will still have time for ATS

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Sorry for the belated reply

And thank you for that sentiment, DTOM.
Your thoughts have always been worthy and valid with me.

My time will undoubtedly be limited in the future, but I will be around. Bet.

seekerof

[edit on 16-11-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Order Of Battle

Originally posted by Byrd
You'll save yourself a lot of hassles if you do a DETAILED outline. Make it long, make it almost paragraph-by-paragraph. You'll lose your energy and focus at some time and if you've got the outline, you can slog right on through in spite of lack of inspiration and everythig else.

I just discovered this thread due to a link from another thread, and just wanted to register a hearty "Amen!" to this.

I'm still not done with my first novel (a 130,000+ word fan fiction, if you prefer), but detailed planning was the first thing I did, and I'm glad I did it.

Laying out how you want the book organized up front is essential for completing it. It can also help you fill in the blanks during times when inspiration may temporarily abandon you.

Above all, remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint, and it's good to pace yourself.

Not that I speak as someone who has actually finished a book mind you.

Just sayin'.

top topics

join