It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Splashpower Offers "Wireless" Recharging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
SplashPower, a creation spawned out of a competition, has started to offer wireless power solutions for your cellphone and other devices, reports macworld.

external image

The technology is similar to that of an electric toothbrush. Half the transformer is in the device, and half is in the pad. The technology itself isn't new, but SplashPower is different. They've got a (very pretty) site up that seeks to promote their stuff. They offer both large and small pads, so you can toss on as many items as you want, saving outlets and the hassle of searching for for each individual charger. For now, adaptors are available as well, until devices are built to be compatible.

What I really like best, however, is their plan. They want to have these things not only seamlessly linked within our homes and offices, but they want to have them in cars, as well as hospitals and cafes. It looks like they've done this successfully so far, with the results positive.

The claim that it frees you from cords and is wireless power is misleading, however, because in the end, you need to plug your pad in to an outlet, and while you're saving yourself time and thought by just tossing onto a pad, you still have to plug it in. I see futures, however, where all tables are built with this technology. That would pretty much remove the need to recharge devices like laptops which rest on tables. If every surface in your house and office has this built in, then we're really getting somewhere.

The big question, though, is, for the time being, which consumers prefer - rechargable surfaces, or USB powered heating pads?

[edit on 10/10/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Yes just what I want ... an EM Field in my living room giving me and my friends brain cancer... Sterility anyone?

It's a nice concept. broadcast power, but far from being proven safe for the kiddies. There is a great deal of information on how bad EM Fields are for living creatures. Im not that lazy yet that I'd prefer a brain tumor or mutant sperm over the extreemly dificult task of simply plugging in my iPod.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
Yes just what I want ... an EM Field in my living room giving me and my friends brain cancer... Sterility anyone?

It's a nice concept. broadcast power, but far from being proven safe for the kiddies. There is a great deal of information on how bad EM Fields are for living creatures. Im not that lazy yet that I'd prefer a brain tumor or mutant sperm over the extreemly dificult task of simply plugging in my iPod.

Ha! But the power pad has to be infinitely safer than the transmitter in your phone your holding an inch away from your brain.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I don't think that'll be a problem. It's designed for induction, so you have no EMF problem. It won't harm data or credit cards, and they claim to have tested all that already with no adverse effects. Besides, even the negative effects of your cellphone, which are larger, will take too long to come to fruition for you to notice.

[edit on 10/11/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I saw this tech a couple years back...cant remember where...I think Popular Science. I liked the idea, I know i'de prefer to set my cell and/or mp3 player on it to charge them, then it will always be cahrged, the thing I like is you dont have to even think about it, you get home and set it on the charger mat, much easier then plugging it in every day in my mind anyway.

I hope they do well, and it starts to find its way into our everyday lives.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Didn't Tesla invent this - oh, I don't know - nearly a century ago?

top topics

join