It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African parrot understands Numerical Concept of Zero and its implications

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   

excerpt from "African Grey Parrot Is First Bird To Comprehend Numerical Concept Akin To Zero"

Historically, the use of "zero" to label a null set has not always been obvious even in human cultures, which in many cases lacked a formal term for zero as recently as the late Middle Ages. The value of number research lies mainly in its ability to help determine the extent of animal cognition and animals' potential for more complex capacities. To that end, Dr. Pepperberg's studies on the avian brain are continuing with research into Alex's ability to count, as well as add and subtract small quantities.

Yet significantly, Dr. Pepperberg's research, which uses a training method called the model-rival technique, also holds promise for teaching autistic and other learning-disabled children who have difficulty learning language, numerical concepts and even empathy.

www.sciencedaily.com...

This is my first post like this, so sorry if it's in the wrong section.

I've been getting into studying animals and their behavior, and how they can learn or communicate. I find this fascinating, and hope that many things can be learned from this to further education for both the learning disabled; but also humankind. I would like to see more research or findings after this.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
That definitely is quite something!

Personally I think we are dealing with memes (R. Dawkins, "A Selfish Gene") which are more or less ideas that exist independently from us. These memes are shown to possibly be transferable by proximity, shown by certain disciplines in Asia, namely a very good example of chick sexing. This would mean that this parrot's abilities are the result of it's proximity with humans. Just see it as a sort of telepathy!

This is of course only my opinion though! Great find and good to know!

join