It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Time Travel"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
what would happen if you flew against the earth I mean the earth spins counter clockwise what if you flew clockwise going mach 2?????????

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
why don't you move this thread and ask someone who has done this?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Nothing would happen, and you wouldn't time travel. The orientation of your flight has nothing to do with time, unless of course you are talking about time zones. If for example you were to fly around the world from east to west in 3 hours, for awhile you would be 'moving back' in time, but once you get back to your point of origin, it's still the same day and 3 hours later. I'm not sure exactly what you meant by your question, and if I misinterpreted it please correct me and clarify.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
not that slow I'm talkin about MACH2 or 3

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
you'd be going really fast counter in a westerly direction. I saw that superman too, it doesn't work that way

now, if you want to talk speed of light, I think the theory goes that time would slow down, but I don't think it would ever stop and reverse course.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I don't think you should ponder anything that you observed watching the Superman movies...

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I have never seen a superman movie I am serious!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Since it hasn't been stated clearly...

If you flew around the Earth, counter to the rotation, at mach 2 or 3... you'd time travel only a faction of a second (due to relativity).

Basicly, nothing would happen.

Increase the speed to say 0.95c and fly around a while then you'd travel forward in time at a signifigant rate... but it would matter what direction you are flying.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Mach 3 is only about 2200 miles per hour, it's really not that fast. It would actually take about 10 hours (assuming the earth was still, and rounding a bit), to go around the world at that speed. If you're talking about the speed of light like syrinx mentioned, then that woudl be a different story:

"As an object or person is accelerated toward the speed of light time slows down for it/him.

This last property leads to the "twins" effect: Twin brothers live on Earth. One brother takes a trip to a distant star traveling at a high percentage of the speed of light. When the twin returns he will be younger than his brother because for him time slowed down during the trip.

This effect, called "time dilation," helps explain why the speed of light is the same no matter how fast you are going. As a traveler accelerates time slows down for him. This, in turn, affects his measurements. "

It wouldn't matter what direction you are going in however. Clockwise, counterclockwise, it's still the same effect.

unmuseum.mus.pa.us...

[edit on 6-7-2005 by zhangmaster]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Guys, this is like the millionth thread on the same retarded topic. ie: "What happens if I jump in the air? Will I move 20 ft from where I orginally was and hit a wormhole". But I will chime.

The earth spins at about 950 miles per hour or 15 per min, 1/4 per sec. Take this into acount and do your own math. What is the difficulty? You are moving in the atmosphere of the earth and aree no longer feeling its rotational effects (very minimum if any). This will not speed you up in any way, you will only cover a greater surface area of the earth as opposed to going the opposite direction.
And to what degree does time travel exist. This forum has already established that there is no set in stone or near that set of characteristics/formulas/theories to establish what time travel is or if it exist. IF you want to time travel, I suggest you set all the clocks in your house to different times and walk into each room. Have fun!

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Yeah, the topic's been through many similar variations, but I don't mind helping the kid out. It's a serious question, and doesn't take too much time to answer. It'll be gone in a few days anyway cause there's nothing to really discuss.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
All right all you nay-sayers. This is a fine question that has been put to us and yet all I hear is scoffing and laughter. This idea of flying with and against the earth's rotation to affect time is not an odd one. In fact there is an infamous experiment called the Hafele and Keating Experiment that is based on this exact subject.

Read all about it here.(Click me)

The Hafele-Keating experiment was a test of the theory of relativity. In October of 1971, J. C. Hafele and Richard E. Keating took four cesium-beam atomic clocks aboard commercial airliners and flew twice around the world, first eastward, then westward, and compared the clocks against those of the United States Naval Observatory.

top topics

join