It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man stole $2,000 by falsely claiming son had died in Iraq (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
50 year old Kurt Paul Miller has been charged by police pretending that his son died in Mosul, Iraq in order to collect more than $2,000 in donations and extra pay from his employer. Authorities say he used the extra money to buy cigarettes and to pay his rent.

www.concordmonitor.com
A man has been charged with pretending that his son was a soldier who died in Iraq, after which he allegedly collected more than $2,000 in donations from co-workers and extra pay from his employer, police said.

Authorities said Kurt Paul Miller, 50, of Butler Township, charged Monday with theft by deception, used the money to buy a plane ticket and cigarettes and to pay his rent.

Miller's co-workers at a Wal-Mart collected more than $1,200 last month after he told them that his son had been killed near Mosul and he needed a plane ticket to join family in Rhode Island. His supervisors also chipped in with extra pay and a fruit basket.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Miller says that he deceived his friends and employer in order to buy a ticket to Rhode Island to see his children who are not enlisted in the military.

His employers became suspicious when they visited Miller in order to bring a fruit basket to his house and a lady that answered the door acted surprised and shocked to hear of the death of Miller's son.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It never ceases to amaze me the depths of unethicity and depravity that some people will stoop to to make a buck.

Sometimes, I think people like that ought to be publicly horsewhipped as an example. But then that's just me...

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
hmm yup the guy was definately in the wrong on this. but it does say a lot on how poorly wal-mart pays it's employees dosn't it. that the guy finds it necisary to bilk people to afford rent, smokes and a plane ticket. mabe the plane ticket is too much to expect, but surely someone should be able to pay rent and buy smokes if they work a full time job? sadly this only shows that what people get payed tends not to be enough to live off of. i can fully understand this myserlf. not that i have run any scams, but i can understand why he might feel the need to. trust me being broke sucks. that unfortunatly is something i understand only too well.

i am familier with that area wonder which wal-mart he worked at

amusingly i know of a simmiler type of thing done at a wal-mart in my area. the guy lied about a mother, or father's death to try to get money. it didn't work though, at least i don't think it worked. and the person was aparently fired for the try.

[edit on 15-5-2005 by drogo]

new topics

join