It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Entering October Country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Autumn snuck in seamlessly, threw off her coat of leaves and earthy boots, dragging the chill in from outside. She laughed broadly, flounced over to the fire and dropped into the green velvet chair to the right of the hearth. I had barely had time to register her arrival when she declared, “You know, while everyone is laughing and fawning over Summer, I’m busily planning the loveliest and most extravagant fete to see her off on her southerly travels.
I ensure the full granaries and sparingly dip into the coffers and gather the fruits of her nurturing watch. I set the feast by the light of the orange moon and send chilly winds to refresh the men tired from reaping. I drop the sun earlier so he may rest, and send more sombering thoughts his way to temper frivolity. Too much frivolity is bad for the soul, you know. You must treat it just so.
All this takes tremendous effort and planning, and by the time my reign comes along I’ve barely the energy left to tend to it. Often hoary old Winter crashes in early, stripping my finery and cutting my time in the sun short. And though many enjoy me, few meet me with pleasure.
Even so, I know I’m the richest of all. There’s layers and layers to me, my carpet of downed leaves and needles forms the most fragrant and luxurious of paths, and the sun always gilds me and all in gold. I wouldn’t trade my role for anything.”
I couldn’t reply right away. Hadn’t I always been guilty of the pang of regret when Summer left? The first frost which stole my gardens always came with the sharpest pang.
I’d given Winter his grudging respect, and of course been intoxicated by Spring’s perfume, but had I given Autumn her due? I thought of the multitude of golden sunset treks through the wood, the windy October nights, leaves crunching underfoot, the fires and ciders and spooks and frights, and decided I had.
“Dear Autumn, you must have crashed here full knowing you’d be greeted by friends. As they say, ‘Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.’ May I offer you some wine?”
And this is how I made a seasonal visitor of the most exquisite kind.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Yaah Autumn!

I just got my fall jacket out last Monday.
Eggnog season.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Superb, zosimov. A beautiful personification of a most wonderful season. This is my favourite way of storytelling.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Hi!
Eggnog and sweaters are also among the beauties of fall.

I hope you enjoy this one to the fullest!

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Hi Encia, thank you for reading and the lovely post! I had so much fun with this one. I'm glad I'm finally writing again and look forward to browsing the forum.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Ah Autuum, the time to cut an apple the way one would not normally (width wise, not top down) and look at what it reveals: The five elements arranged, Water, Fire, Air, Earth and the Spirit. Harbringer of Winter, death, balance. So in Spring everything can be reborn and rejuvinated.

Great good night lecture, not because it is boring but refreshing vivid, that I hope to take with me into my dreams. What a great way to end the night.

Pthena ♥ and Encia ♥ are also here, both whom I have not seen a lot lately. Probably due to my absence in the short story forum.

Have a great evening all together ♥

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

We can all pull up a chair in front of the fire to enjoy the glorious fall

Great to see you all here. Thank you for the wonderful suggestion for how to cut the apple. I'll try this and remember what you wrote!

Goodnight dear.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Autumn! Cider mills and leaves! Amazing!

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JJproductions

Such a wonderful time of the year

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Love the name!

Favorite season too.

Fall was better back East though, even Arizona had a fall. In Southern California fall is summed up by the weeds turning to tinder, hot blowing winds, and fire.

Great piece!
edit on 30-9-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

The best falls I've seen were definitely back East. Though Colorado mountain aspens are a sight to see. Southern Cali has a lot of beauty, but the fall doesn't sound too appealing. Hope the rest of the year makes up for it

Ray Bradbury gets credit for the fascinating phrase "October Country" which I used to make the title.
www.goodreads.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 11:54 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Thank you for adding the beautiful photo, Peeple! It's a perfect accompaniment to the piece.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 10:35 AM
link   

That was quite a tumultuous read. When I first started out I thought 'this is all a bit too much', but then as I read along I thought, 'this is beautiful'. I can't say much more than that.

edit on 1-10-2023 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 10:43 AM
link   

If you do it, do it with awareness and serenity, be aware where you set the knife and how you cut through. Don't overthink though.

I know it all is a bit contradicting

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

Thank you for saying just that

I'm happy you found beauty in the piece.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain

If you do it, do it with awareness and serenity, be aware where you set the knife and how you cut through. Don't overthink though.

I know it all is a bit contradicting

The meaning is right there in the juxtaposition, perfect for the theme.

Thank you, ducky

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 03:59 AM
link   
"I love Autumn, I just love it. I'm so glad I got to live in a world where there are Octobers, aren't you?" Autumns in Korea are so beautiful

top topics

join