It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THRILLER IN MANILA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 01:30 PM
link   
this is not some crazy conspiracy theory, because it actually happened: germany beat the usa 113-111 in the basketball semifinals of the world cup. it was a breathtaking game, right to the end. for basketball germany its the first wm final in its history. well deserved, i must say.

i know that the best of the best americans didn't play, which is actually a strange thing, because for me a world cup is something different than a national competition. the indians also like to play cricket on an international level. why does the usa have such a hard time sending its best players? because it's up to the clubs, or is it up to the players themselves? what's more exciting than playing for your country?

we germans don't that have much national pride, but we're all pretty patriotic when it comes to sports - and everyone was talking about today's game, even it wasn't on free tv.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: malte85

Wow, close game. It's an amazing achievement. Congratulations Germany!

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 05:40 PM
link   

i know that the best of the best americans didn't play, which is actually a strange thing, because for me a world cup is something different than a national competition.

Hubris or protecting high quality players from accidents. We did it in football, too in the last (soccer) WC/WM. Big "yey" for the win, no matter what country. I wonder if any Merlins are in the national team.

About the pride, I do have that. I love the country, the culture, I am proud about our work mindset and work morals. Well, they degrade, granted, but still proud to be a German and of German heritage.

I think our people are just too afraid being called far right or nazi, it's too deep ingrained into their brains. There are many things we can be proud about (and a lot of things to be ashamed for).

posted on Sep, 10 2023 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain

i know that the best of the best americans didn't play, which is actually a strange thing, because for me a world cup is something different than a national competition.

Hubris or protecting high quality players from accidents. We did it in football, too in the last (soccer) WC/WM. Big "yey" for the win, no matter what country. I wonder if any Merlins are in the national team.

About the pride, I do have that. I love the country, the culture, I am proud about our work mindset and work morals. Well, they degrade, granted, but still proud to be a German and of German heritage.

I think our people are just too afraid being called far right or nazi, it's too deep ingrained into their brains. There are many things we can be proud about (and a lot of things to be ashamed for).

i am also happy to be born into this country. proud ... i don't know, i can be proud of other people's achievements, of myself, of my loved ones, but of a whole country? i find it extraordinary (and i'm kind proud of that) how intensively and conscientiously we deal with our dark past and still can celebrate the successes in the here and now - as you can currently see with the german basketball national team. what a match, by the way! i always feel a responsibility as a german to be vigilant as soon as radical right-wing ideas seep into the middle of society. but thats a pretty complex topic. grüße aus dem wunderbar sommerlichen münchen!

posted on Sep, 10 2023 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Not sure if proud is the best word to use, I don't know a better one currently.

What I was trying to express was that I am proud to have been grown up here. I love the landscape and nature, the language is so expressive and beautiful. The old stories and tellings, sagas and myths. I like our traditions and consistency in morals and ethics. Of course that's mainly because I grew up here.

But then also I seen things outside of Europe on the African continent, how things are handled there, the mindset etc. And all that has it's place and beauty too but it showed me to also be thankful for the possibilities this country gives me. And that's only possible because of the hard work of our ancestors. I also honor that by upholding it, it is the least I can do.

i find it extraordinary (and i'm kind proud of that) how intensively and conscientiously we deal with our dark past and still can celebrate the successes in the here and now - as you can currently see with the german basketball national team. what a match, by the way!

Yes that is noteworthy but also has it's own set's of pitfalls, such as you describing to feel responsible to be vigilantly outspoken against racism when you feel like it. I was thinking like that too in my younger years (you're only 3 years older than me).

Today I see how it is weaponized and also people won't touch topics that are questionable when it's about, speaking up against wrong accusations of racism or extreme right wing mindset. People be quick to call one a racist but very uninterested in actually clearing it up or even outsiders speaking up.

It's too easy here to use the racism stamp because no one will speak up against overusing. Because then they as a person also come into focus and no one want's to be the one defending a possible racist. Just the possibility of it is enough so people shut up. But are on the other hand quick to accuse.

Not saying you are doing it, just talking out of my gut here.

Ja grias di Gott ausm frengischa zur grenz zua deh schwoba! Woisch Ih als neugschmegda ossi-braud viehl mi sauguad dahanna, abr koi sorg mah hod mi glei alsa butzerl neigschmegdt ond dr dialegd isch oah ned agfärbt. Abr jez wohn mr bei de sauschwoba en schduddgard ond I wehr mi abr so noh und noh ko I mi oifach ned wehra, des färbt hald scho ab, woisch? An schena obadd, fahr ned wiadzau abr do wo du bisch gibts ja eh d eisaboah wo em boda rommfährd.

And to abide by the T&C
God bless you, from the Frankenland at the border to the Swabians. You know, as someone who was born in Saxony, I am feeling really at home here. But don't worry, they assimilated me already as a toddler and their awful dialect did not infect me. But now we live with the pig-swabians in Stuttgart and I am fighting, but time by time, it creeps into my speech, not much to counter it, you know? Wish you a nice evening, don't drive like a pig but where you are, you have these rail roads that drive underground.

posted on Sep, 10 2023 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain
Not sure if proud is the best word to use, I don't know a better one currently.

What I was trying to express was that I am proud to have been grown up here. I love the landscape and nature, the language is so expressive and beautiful. The old stories and tellings, sagas and myths. I like our traditions and consistency in morals and ethics. Of course that's mainly because I grew up here.

But then also I seen things outside of Europe on the African continent, how things are handled there, the mindset etc. And all that has it's place and beauty too but it showed me to also be thankful for the possibilities this country gives me. And that's only possible because of the hard work of our ancestors. I also honor that by upholding it, it is the least I can do.

i find it extraordinary (and i'm kind proud of that) how intensively and conscientiously we deal with our dark past and still can celebrate the successes in the here and now - as you can currently see with the german basketball national team. what a match, by the way!

Yes that is noteworthy but also has it's own set's of pitfalls, such as you describing to feel responsible to be vigilantly outspoken against racism when you feel like it. I was thinking like that too in my younger years (you're only 3 years older than me).

Today I see how it is weaponized and also people won't touch topics that are questionable when it's about, speaking up against wrong accusations of racism or extreme right wing mindset. People be quick to call one a racist but very uninterested in actually clearing it up or even outsiders speaking up.

It's too easy here to use the racism stamp because no one will speak up against overusing. Because then they as a person also come into focus and no one want's to be the one defending a possible racist. Just the possibility of it is enough so people shut up. But are on the other hand quick to accuse.

Not saying you are doing it, just talking out of my gut here.

Ja grias di Gott ausm frengischa zur grenz zua deh schwoba! Woisch Ih als neugschmegda ossi-braud viehl mi sauguad dahanna, abr koi sorg mah hod mi glei alsa butzerl neigschmegdt ond dr dialegd isch oah ned agfärbt. Abr jez wohn mr bei de sauschwoba en schduddgard ond I wehr mi abr so noh und noh ko I mi oifach ned wehra, des färbt hald scho ab, woisch? An schena obadd, fahr ned wiadzau abr do wo du bisch gibts ja eh d eisaboah wo em boda rommfährd.

And to abide by the T&C
God bless you, from the Frankenland at the border to the Swabians. You know, as someone who was born in Saxony, I am feeling really at home here. But don't worry, they assimilated me already as a toddler and their awful dialect did not infect me. But now we live with the pig-swabians in Stuttgart and I am fighting, but time by time, it creeps into my speech, not much to counter it, you know? Wish you a nice evening, don't drive like a pig but where you are, you have these rail roads that drive underground.

Danke für die Übersetzung, ich hätte kein Wort verstanden!
Otherwise: I am basically with you in everything you have written. Schönen Abend!

new topics

top topics

join