It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best emergency radios? How to protect from EMP?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 12:52 PM
link   
use a metal trash can with top-lid for larger devices

c. crane . com usually has a shelf of good options to select from, for signal monitoring/communications news

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

Surely an EMP needs a completed circuit to fry electronics, if the device is switched off, doesn't that do the trick?

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Thanks for all the great info and replies. I did end up getting the BaoeFeng UV 820 and its a great radio.

As far as protecting cell phones in a microwave, I am going to research this. I dont know how much good it will do though, because most likely all the cell towers would be fried from an EMP so they might not work anyway. But protecting radio and other electronics is still useful. Again, thanks and good luck to all of you.
edit on 25-7-2023 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

Surely an EMP needs a completed circuit to fry electronics, if the device is switched off, doesn't that do the trick?

An EMP is a very rapid and powerful transient magnetic field. It induces an electric current in any wire or wire-like thing it passes through.

Take, for example, the traces on the circuit board in your mobile phone — they’re wire-like things. These connect to integrated circuits that are designed to work with signals between 1 and 5 volts. The EMP might cause 100 to 1000 volt potentials to enter those ICs through those wires for a few milliseconds. This current will destroy whatever transistors on the IC it goes through — CPU, memory, radio module, etc.

The only thing you can do to protect your device is to cover it with aluminum foil. Assuming you have reason to believe there’s going to be an EMP in your area.

Take a cardboard box or any box for that matter, buy some heavy duty foil. Wrap the box several times in foil. Make a lid of anything and wrap in foil. It must fit tight. But that's a lot of work.

The simplest thing to do is buy a steel (galvanized) 33 gallon (or larger) garbage can. Put some shelving in it or not. Lay it on its side and put stuff on the top shelf and underneath the top shelf. Cheap, effective and holds a lot of stuff. Mice won't get into it, water proof, EMP proof.

Note that it’s important to use a galvanized steel can and lid. These run about $35 and they hold quite a bit.
edit on 1131202300000031bTue, 25 Jul 2023 12:14:11 -05002023000000x by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2023 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I just wanted to put it out there that many survival tools can be picked up from thrift stores and flea markets for pennies on the dollar. I was able to pick up an older red cross emergency radio with the hand crank that had an 18650 LiPo battery for 5 bucks at the local goodwill store. In fact, most of my bug out gear is older ex military stuff ive found at stores like goodwill.

posted on Mar, 28 2024 @ 04:25 PM
link   

If you want your Modern Vehicle , Home Electronics , or Communication Devices to Continue to Operate after a Possible EMP Release during a Nuclear Detonation or a Solar Coronal Mass Ejection , this Device is a Necessity ...........

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 08:59 AM
link   
For a Faraday cage ge a carboard box!
on the out side put tin foil...
then put cardboard on the out side and more tin foil.
3 tine foil and four cardboard.
do not let each tin foil touch!
when you can earth the outsind of the box,foil.

I am looking for a way to protect the transceiver in this box.
maybe put some capacitores in line with the aerial?

maybe tree capacitores with resistors with one link to the earh?

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

If you want your Modern Vehicle , Home Electronics , or Communication Devices to Continue to Operate after a Possible EMP Release during a Nuclear Detonation or a Solar Coronal Mass Ejection , this Device is a Necessity ...........

ONLY way is the Old diesel engine!
start with a crank handle.
Only way to stop it is a smash,blow up close hit from from a nuc.
or cut off the fuel.

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Scratchpost

Do you Own a Newer Vehicle ? It's Electronics will get Fried Beyond Repair during a EMP Detonation .

top topics

<< 1   >>

join