It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK - Online Safety Bill - WhatsApp could disappear from UK over privacy concerns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I knew about this proposed legislation, but not how intrusive it could be. The short of it is that the UK Government, in its relentless attack on the people’s privacy, with the excuse of national security and crime prevention, wants to have access to communications (or background information) that are encrypted end-to-end, for example, WhatsApp or other messaging apps. As the article says:

The government’s hope is that companies will blink first in the game of chicken and give them what they want.

Proposed law:

Online Safety Bill - A Bill to make provision for and in connection with the regulation by OFCOM of certain internet services; for and in connection with communications offences; and for connected purposes. --> Follow Bill passage on UK Parliament site.

News Source: The Guardian

The UK government risks sleepwalking into a confrontation with WhatsApp that could lead to the messaging app disappearing from Britain, ministers have been warned, with options for an amicable resolution fast running out.

The bill gives Ofcom the power to impose requirements for social networks to use technology to tackle terrorism or child sexual abuse content, with fines of up to 10% of global turnover for those services that do not comply. Companies must use “best endeavours” to develop or source technology to obey the notice.

But for messaging apps that secure their user data with “end-to-end encryption” (E2EE), it is technologically impossible to read user messages without fundamentally breaking their promises to users. That, they say, is a step they will not take.

“They have a system that works for billions of people all around the world. A relatively small market such as the UK is not something for which they would compromise their billions of users around the world.”

Collins added that the bill did not attack encryption because it would only require messaging companies sharing information that they have access to – which does not include message content. However, he said authorities should be able to access the background data behind users, including data about usage of the app, contacts, location and names of user groups.

If users access WhatsApp through a web browser, the service can also collect information about websites visited before and after sending messages, Collins added.

Personally, I don’t use WhatsApp, but I respect that many do, and I wouldn’t want any government sticking its nose into my affairs. I also understand a need to investigate criminal factions that use these platforms, hiding in the shadow of encryption. Where do you draw the line? How do they find the right balance between security and privacy? I think the big loser is always going to be the populace and the criminals will always find ways around any obstacle.

Maybe I’m getting old and cynical, but I preferred the old-fashioned ways of communicating. Check out the clip below; same neighbourhood and era I grew up in, same manner of communication.

Go to 3:35 in the video below.

edit on 8/5/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

I have only two places on the internet where I participate. While most people think of the internet as a fairly safe and innocuous place, over 80% of my cases involve some connection with the internet.

The number of crimes committed with the assistance of the internet would be mind blowing for most people. Having access to internet data of criminals have saved the life of some victims of crimes, and have assisted law enforcement in getting some deadly criminals off the street.

Anyone that thinks there is anything that remotely comes close to internet privacy, is truly naive. The moment you connect to the World Wide Web, resistance is futile.

Seriously, I don't like it either, but the truth is, there is no internet privacy, and some of the social apps are main operating systems for some demonic actors.

edit on 8-5-2023 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 10:24 AM
link   

What concerns me is the continued push for a digital identity system but the Online Safety bill is a part of that, privacy is becoming a thing of the past as we are filmed and tracked at every stage of the day/week/year , the online safety bill is another attack on the internet and attempt to remove any privacy we had left.

Kill the Bill!
🍺

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I read that article earlier and its amazing isnt it how we are out of the eu yet still pesrsuing the most awful anti privacy bills the idiots can come up with.

Its always about "Protecting the kids" too when stuff like this or more restrictive gun laws are talked about in the US for instance.
Having a starving hyena babysit your two year old is about as good an idea as letting any of these freaks have a say on child safety.

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

What concerns me is the continued push for a digital identity system but the Online Safety bill is a part of that, privacy is becoming a thing of the past as we are filmed and tracked at every stage of the day/week/year , the online safety bill is another attack on the internet and attempt to remove any privacy we had left.

Kill the Bill!
🍺

We have no privacy left. It may be too late to even dump your cell phone.

And remember, this is only what they want you to know.

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 12:23 PM
link   
You shouldn’t be using WhatsApp anyway as it is owned by facebook, and I wouldn’t want them having access to my text messages!!

new topics

top topics

join