It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Big One ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Experts fear a hole in a 600-mile-long mega-crack at the bottom of the Pacific ocean could trigger a catastrophic earthquake that would decimate cities along the northwestern US coast.

The hole is located on the boundary of the dipping fault, known as the Cascadia Subduction Zone, just 50 miles off the shoreline of Oregon. It is currently spewing hot liquid, researchers have discovered.

Terrifyingly, the hole could unleash an earthquake with a magnitude of nine - the highest point on the Richter scale - due to its chemically distinct leakage known as "fault lubricant".

Link

For a less sensational look, Pythias Oasis.

They explored in that direction, and what they saw was not just methane bubbles, but water coming out of the seafloor like a firehose. That’s something I’ve never seen and, to my knowledge, has not been observed before.

Mentioned Here.

Sounds like a recipe for an earthquake. Not sure why it would necessarily be a "9", though.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 03:32 AM
link   
So, a couple of years ago we had this weather phenomena called "The Blob". It was a weird hot spot in the ocean in the same area. At the same time an underwater volcano was erupting at that exact spot, but for some dumb reason the media was ignoring that part of the situation. Now I wonder if that volcano is just venting gas out and the media is being told to slant it towards fear by pushing "The Big One" once again.

Sad fact:
"Even if a 9.0 hit the PNW the rest of the US will most likely just ignore it like they do to every other issue here in Washington."

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 04:00 AM
link   
It would be apocalyptic , i doubt many buildings can take 9 ricter .

There was just M 6.0 - VANCOUVER ISLAND, CANADA REGION - 2023-04-13 15:54:54 UTC

Thought , earthquakes there are common if i understand.

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Hopefully it just release pressure.... otherwise it's gonna be catastrophic for PNW area

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: whiteblack

Santa Monica is an example of the Earth dropping.

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Would this affect land as far south as San Francisco?

Just thinking hopefully.

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Ummm...Soooo...that's where North Korea is planning on planting their..."Tsunami"...warhead...

Could be a good thing...

Touch that baby off and cleanse the entire western seaboard of those worthless leftist progressives...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

So many problems solved if the West coast drops into the ocean? Say up to 100 miles inland?

San Francisco, LA, Portland, and Seattle gone? Gosh, the West Coast would flip Republican. Washington DC would not be the same after the 2024-28 elections.

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Would this affect land as far south as San Francisco? Just thinking hopefully.

i was thinking the same, maybe it'll wipe out the whole woke west coast mecca's

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Just do it already, take the whole west coast. We in the rest of the country would be so upset......not really
edit on 15-4-2023 by PorkChop96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Aint the San Andreas down that part of the country?

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Aint the San Andreas down that part of the country?

Yep. Right in my front yard! All the way up the coast. When that one hits it will be the one that triggers half of CA to slip into the water! It could be triggered by this other fault being that the San Andreas runs off the top of CA into the ocean.

edit on 4 15 2023 by cre8chaos because: Typos.I am sure there are more.

edit on 4 15 2023 by cre8chaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I’ve used “fault” lubricant a few times myself! Stuff works great. Never tried it on that big of a crack though🤷🏻‍♂️

edit on 15-4-2023 by Narvasis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 12:36 PM
link   
They are having a problem with a reduction of fish populations and crustations and shrimp in that area of the world. I wonder if that action is causing fish to leave the area and stuff like shrimp that feed the fish to die off?

posted on Apr, 15 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: whiteblack
Hopefully it just release pressure.... otherwise it's gonna be catastrophic for PNW area

I'm in idaho.......I'm all for propert value increasing organically but I prefer mine not turn to ocean front over night

posted on Apr, 16 2023 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...Soooo...that's where North Korea is planning on planting their..."Tsunami"...warhead...

Could be a good thing...

Touch that baby off and cleanse the entire western seaboard of those worthless leftist progressives...

YouSir

C’mon man don’t be so heartless! Imagine the heartbreaking loss we’d feel if it really did hit! I mean, think of the sheer number of rodents who live in LA! And all those classic cars across the state! Those would make such an event a real tragedy!

posted on Apr, 18 2023 @ 06:04 PM
link   
With everything else going on, this appears to be flying way under the radar. My place is ~300ft up, which gives me comfort, out the front door of my building I look down on the water and across at the US. It's inland, behind Vancouver Island, but will still be one hell of a ride!! I'm also thinking, when it goes, Mt. Baker and Mt. Rainier perhaps??

posted on Apr, 18 2023 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Doomlike because the seeps may be releasing some of the lubricant that keeps the subduction zone from "locking up". These seeps are on vertical strike-slip faults that are formed by the stress from the plate subduction. Like if you push two really compacted slabs of dry clay together (trying to push one barely under the other), the vertical cracks that form are like the vertical faults that form where one plate is trying to slide under the other, deforming the surrounding seafloor.

Less fluid to let the plates slide means more stress built up to correct itself later.

"9.0" because that's typical for areas of subduction. Alaska 1964, Chile 1960, Sumatra 2004, and Japan 2011 were all this variety.

Cascadia happens every 500 years or so. Been 323 years. The Thunderbird is returning one day, but there may not even be a State of Oregon when it happens again.
edit on 18-4-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join