It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hogwarts Legacy Review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Another month another AAA game but unlike Forgotten , sorry Forespoken , Hogwarts Legacy seems to deliver on the promise to create an interesting open world Wizardry game set in and around Hogwarts.
Interested ? check out this in-depth review by ACG where Karak lays out his opinion on Hogwarts Legacy , and as someone who hasn't even seen a Potter film but has a relation who's an expert I think it looks worth picking up if you're looking for a bit of fantasy in these depressing times.

If you can't watch the video Karak sank 50 hours into the game and thinks it's well worth getting.
Hogwarts Legacy releases on Friday or tomorrow if you have the Deluxe Edition.

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I was never really into Harry Pot-herb but still this does look good and also a good chuckle if I only had time but perhaps too young for me at least.

Still the idea of playing an evil wizard with evil adolescent pimples and a twig that is more dangerous than a solicitor (lawyer to our US friends) or Dixon's salesman (a former UK electronics department store over here in the UK so our Yank friends understand once again the Salespeople were pushy and tried and tried to get you to buy even if you were just browsing - or at least they did when I was a young fellow that looked suspiciously like Harry Pot-Herb even had the glasses though my generations idea of a wizard was Gandalf or at a push Merlin) chasing after your signature does sound extremely funny.

I understand that while limited to a probably adolescent character of some kind there is a reasonable character creation as well for the role players out there.

Yup just looked on you tube there is a character creator but the character looks even younger than I would want to play myself, literally pre zit break out adolescent (so there goes the idea of magical chin zits that you can shoot enemy's with).

Joking aside it looks really good and will doubtless have mothers and fathers having to take away the power chord on there children's gaming set up (probably waiting for them to go to bed before playing it themselves haha).

Pretty standard but even if old Rowling did nick from every other franchise out there including from Pratchett it is a lore rich and expansive world for a game to be set in, should be fun for the kid's and those younger adults that have the time and patience to invest in it, I doubt I will get it at least at the ridiculous price the company's are now asking fools that they are shooting themselves in the foot when they could and should take the historic and once incredibly successful model of mastertronic to mind and price the games at a level that people can actually afford.

But should the price become actually reasonable at some point I may then give it a go assuming I am still around at such a future date and still have a computer and we can pay our electricity bills when that day comes, also the benefit of that is that there will by that time likely be a lively modding scene for the game.

Interesting and sure to be a hit simply because so many are so lost in this world they need to turn to fantasy just to escape there daily misery and that made the novels a phenomenal success (though there are so many better out there, the original lord of the Ring's that breathed so much life into the genre and later Raymond E Feists Magician was not a better but more dungeons and dragon like novel that most of those kids have never read but really should have but closest of all although heavily laden with an almost monty python style humour were the disc world novels that were written by Terry Pratchett though he did everything Rowling did before her and much better than her) so a game based on that franchise unless it turns out to be awful OR is far too overprices (A good possibility) will likely be a hit anyway.

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I think I will get it Just Cause I am a Generation Zero kinda guy .

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Nice thread. A kind person from a Facebook group bought me the preorder and I can’t wait to play!

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I was thinking if it wasn't hopeless my son would like it for sure, and I might take it for a spin because I do enjoy a romp through the series every now and then.

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 07:52 PM
link   
My wife and I watched a guy play for a while and it looks pretty damn good.

Going to get the deluxe soon, thanks!

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 04:55 AM
link   
It looks great. I just hope that he mechanics are enough to keep me interested. I love open world games but can disappoint easily when they resort to "go to A and collect X then return to B, go to C and collect y then return to B".

They need to be interspersed with changing environments, differing boss battles, interesting mechanics. Nothing comes close to doing this like BOTW. Witcher 3 scrapes through, and Outer Worlds just about does too. (All just my opinion).

That said, I'll be having a go at this game. It is the last one I'll play on my computer before I sell it and get a steam deck!

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I will get it today or tomorrow.

BTW IMO age should not be a limiting factor in enjoying the Potterverse. It's not just for kids, especially as the story arc goes on and Harry matures. I'm far from being a kid and have enjoyed the books and movies

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 12:04 PM
link   
People who are streaming this game are being put on a naughty list. That fact pretty much sums up the current social climate.

posted on Feb, 7 2023 @ 12:19 PM
link   

edit on 7-2-2023 by gortex because: nvm

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 11:54 AM
link   
So far I'm loving the game. Some streamers are so adamant that the game shouldn't be streamed or bought, and they actually gave the game more visibility and sales. Why can't they just realize they can disagree with Rowling's opinion and separate that from the game?

Personally I don't understand Twitch in general, I have no interest in watching someone else play a game, boring. I'm not too lazy to play the game myself

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: vlawde

Used to love open world RPG's and this looks to at least have large levels if it is not open world, I am tempted but paying that much with the stupid price increase these company's are putting on there games during an economic crisis is beyond reprehensible and pure greed on there part, I would not be too surprised to find it also has in game purchases or will through a later update as that is also the trend in the move toward renting rather than owning the software you buy including games and even the operating systems.

I have to admit the graphic's look reasonable.

I probably will give it a whirl as soon as the price comes down, surely they can not keep putting there prices up without damaging there customer base or driving the pirate scene and all the malware that contains, this kind of pricing is a gift to the likes of Russia at times like this because they will be the first to crack and pirate this then put malware into it for everything from crypto mining on other peoples PC's to bot net's to perform state hacking and infrastructure damage.

Someone should really have questioned these company's for there pricing and how they are abusing there monopolies in the PC and gaming markets but hey corporate greed is no place for this, I don't follow those twitchers and have never even looked at twitch so not sure what that is about but hey Rowling as you point out did not make this game, some developers did and they look to have done a good job although there publishers and the price they slapped on it need to see a psychiatrist pronto in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 11 2023 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Right so I was wrong about the pricing that was the pre-order version that came with some kind of cosmetic package and a hat or something.

Also I am non the wiser as to what she supposedly said and which side of that debate she is on but since she is merely the author of some book's and has nothing really to do with this game other than perhaps some creative input if even that I don't see it as relevant anyway.

With that I think the more I look at the game the more it looks' to be a smashing title for kid's and adults alike, also it's open world so that got cleared up for me.

Still debating though as fifty nicker is still a lot of dosh to hand over to some greasy publishing house and I may, just may (but probably wont) hang out until it get's a little cheaper in a couple of month's like they often do for a weekend or something on Steam or Epic.

Still want to see if this is going to be moddable though as I am a PC gamer and often mod's can make or break a game.

One stickler for me is that I am still in the PC age so like first person and am not sure if this game has that, I will probably wait but on that side note if Rowling (Despite her nicking other authors ideas and every author does that so what?) simply said that tranny's are not woman then I absolutely agree with her, I also think men should not be marrying men and woman not woman and all that lark, I believe they should have the same legal rights as a married couple and be able to have a contract that gives them those rights but NOT actually be a misses and a mister so to speak unless they are of opposite genders of which there are ONLY two despite claims by the woke mob that there are hundreds.

So if that brings flack on me so be it I am not bothered and believe you have the right to call a pot black and a kettle rusty without being attacked for speaking the simple God given truth, like I say my only sticking point was that I believe she did borrow from other authors though I am not sure she was guilty of stealing someone else story as the original claim against her that failed in court claimed, she is still a very talented author and managed to create the hardest part of any novel and that is not the plot but the actual characters within the story and that makes her a genuinely talented author and is why so many other people including me can not write book's like she can (And let's be fair her books are way better than most in the past few decades, there is a reason they were an international success).

So looks to be a good game, sorry for my first Post Gortex I was in a humour mood and were I live calling someone a pot herb is not meaning they are smoking wacky baccy just that they are daft.

Still annoyed with the prices of modern games though as I genuinely believe that without the retail outlet thirty nicker top's would have been more than ample especially with modern programmers actually being lazy sods that use premade engines most of the time and do there coding in high level languages since most of them are not skilled in the machine code our generation was taught.

edit on 11-2-2023 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join