It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Age Proto Writing system discovered

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Indeed, but rudeness, belittling , and dismissal from a fake position of authority is thoroughly repulsive and unacceptable .
I will always call it out regardless.
a reply to: Freeborn

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: bluesfreak

I hate speaking for anyone else but I'm sure they don't intend to be 'rude and belittling'.

I've got to say that whilst at first I find the bickering kind of amusing it does tend to detract from the excellent quality of these threads.

I sincerely hope yourself and other members continue posting new ideas, findings and theories etc just as much as I hope the previously mentioned members continue to scrutinise and debate them.

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 04:42 AM
link   

I hate speaking for anyone else but I'm sure they don't intend to be 'rude and belittling'.

I suggest you go back and have a read, mate.
Im pretty sure they do.

Normal people like you and I would apologise if we came across as rude , that’s called polite discourse, I’ve seen it many times here.
Rudeness will create bickering.
That’s why it occurs.
Fix the rudeness through manners violations , solve the bickering =
Return to acceptable discourse as 99.99% of people do on here with no problem and no intention to offend .
a reply to: Freeborn

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

I recall an article about fishing weirs in Australia and thought that the oldest was older than that. However, in North America, weirs date to at least the end of the last Ice Age

Wood and water doesn't always mix...

Off the top of my head the findings in Western Europe go back 5000 years but evidence of fish trapping was found in the Baltics that goes back 9000 years, I'd say the findings coincide with other findings of the timeframe around Europe such as canoes. Fishing hooks dating around 23,000 years ago were found in Japan.

The materials used don't lend themselves to aging so it requires leaps of faith to define the findings as independently developed or if they are derived from techniques humans have used upto 200,000 years which is my guesstimate based on rudimentary tool findings.

I'm not of the opinion some smarty pants sailed around the planet teaching aboriginals and nomads the skills of man... It's why I asked the question of date

Mass migrations of land animals seem to require a large area of steppes or plains like we have in America and Africa.

Depends on the creature we'd be scrutinizing. I initially thought that when I wrote my reply but I'm now assuming wandering mass herds are an extreme rarity. The mass gathering of different species that temporarily co-exist as in Africa is seemingly a rare and developed trait.

Migratory birds don't always congregate in flocks either.

Europe had bison though, I'm not sure if this is the best thread to debate the distinctions between wandering and migration though...

Modern studies of people such as the San people (aka Bushmen) show just that, however. Their diet is more dependent on root and plant foods and hunts aren't always successful. Fishing weirs, however, are usually coastal and don't depend on seasons as much. River weirs are often designed to take advantage of lower river flow (drier seasons.)

Similar problem I addressed earlier... Are these things worked out independently or is this knowledge humans have used for a few 1000 years or a few 10,000 years.

It's an important distinction since methodology is going to lead to different conclusions. Then again maybe humans simply learned from the likes of beavers? I can only speculate.

My knowledge of weir fishing is based on Europe though and I'm guessing they were after larger game such as salmon. That's seasonal for the most part, other traps would've been "pot luck" or basically corralling. As you rightly say the environment would dictate the method and archeological findings lend themselves to rivers and lakes.

The people did use fire and other methods to "enhance" areas to bring animals in so that they'd be there when the people wandered back through. I'll have to find the articles later.

The UK is the world's biggest garden that's nearly 10k years in the making. Other cultures practiced similar things worldwide. I like the dates being pushed back it makes sense to me that the modern human skill set isn't so modern. If humans were being human independently around the world 20k years ago who's to say they weren't 40k or 100k years ago?

They seemingly didn't invent all these things independently, I'm more inclined to think the seeds of thought and conclusion originate much further back. No spacemen or Atlantans needed

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join