It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alterations of the fecal microbiota in relation to acute COVID-19 infection and recovery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 07:28 PM
link   
There is an autoimmune aspect to some cases of covid and with long-covid. Recent studies have shown that a covid infection can alter our gut microbiome. I've posted threads in the past suggesting a link between autoimmune diseases and the bacteria in our gut.

The first findings of an ongoing investigation into the microbiomes of patients and volunteers were published in the journal Molecular Biomedicine. The study focused on the microbiome because many covid patients reported experiencing gastrointestinal problems, both during the acute stages of their illness and when recovering, going back as far as early 2020. 

They studied the populations of bacteria in feces samples collected from 60 individuals. Twenty actively infected covid patients, twenty healthy donors, and twenty covid recovered participants made up the study group. When contrasting the microbiomes of infected patients with those of healthy and healed patients, they discovered significant variations in the populations of 55 different bacterial species. There was a distinct difference found between covid infected and healthy participants and unsurprisingly, there was greater risk for imbalance found among those who received antibiotics as part oftheir covid treatment.

Further research could result in the creation of probiotic pills to correct any gastrointestinal abnormalities in future covid patients. These scientists from Rutgers are among those currently conducting further research into this. 

We observed distinct gut microbiota composition in COVID-19-positive patients compared to healthy controls regardless of antibiotic exposure. This β-diversity dissimilarity also has been previously observed, providing evidence that acute COVID-19 infection could induce gut microbiota dysbiosis [25, 29, 30, 32,33,34]. Zhang et al. provided further evidence that the dysbiosis might be associated with COVID-19 disease severity as significant β-diversity differences were only observed between COVID-19-patients with severe/critical illness and control subjects without COVID-19 [32]. Our analyses of α- and β-diversity demonstrated that COVID-19-recovered patients and healthy controls had comparable gut microbiomes, which were distinct from those of COVID-19-positive patients. Similarly, in a North American cohort, the microbiota of recovered patients was comparable with control subjects [34]. In contrast, in several Chinese cohorts, the COVID-19-induced gut microbiota dysbiosis persisted after SARS-CoV-2 viral clearance [26, 29]. In addition to demographic differences, these studies exclusively involved hospitalized COVID-19-positive patients who were followed into recovery [26, 29]. Intensive Care Unit (ICU) stays during hospitalization also are known to contribute to gut dysbiosis [38, 39]. Not following the COVID-19-positive patients into recovery in our study and using unrelated recovered subjects could introduce added inter-personal variation. As such, expanded cohorts that control for these important circumstances are needed to understand the longitudinal changes of the gut microbiome in COVID-19 patients.

Alterations of the fecal microbiota in relation to acute COVID-19 infection and recovery

It seems reasonable to think that eating the right foods to support a healthy gut flora will promote a strong immune system and likely ward off many other illnesses as well as a severe case of covid.

edit on 25 12 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

they'll just figure a way to put mRNA in it.
trust me their not gonna let go of this.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I believe it affects the brain. There is proof of that .

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Yes, the proof was in the last thread that I made.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

Just eat fresh fruits, veggies, lean meats, eggs, probiotic stuff and dairy if you can and stay away from the processed foods and soda.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 08:04 PM
link   

everyday, that's one thing i do regularly. except coca cola, that's the necter of the gods, i have one a night.
i also haven't been jabbed, nor been to see a doctor in more than 30 years, only when it's something i cant do for myself or beyond my control, like real bad cuts wounds or broken bones.

doctors keep you on a endless cycle of keep coming back for this that or the other and refer you to their colleagues in there groups.

edit on 25-12-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

Just eat fresh fruits, veggies, lean meats, eggs, probiotic stuff and dairy if you can and stay away from the processed foods and soda.

Sugar too. Go easy on the fruit if you do get sick

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

I was lumping refined sugar in with the processed foods.

I mainly only eat some strawberries and blueberries with breakfast. They are among the prebiotic fresh fruits and vegetables. That's really my approach to all of this gut bacteria stuff. I am eating the stuff that is supposed to feed the bacteria I want living in there and not eating what feeds the bacteria I don't want.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 10:31 PM
link   
pretty interesting research. But I would think that the flu or any viral infection would trigger the immune system to boost and kill off some microbes. It may be worse with this covid 19 because the immune system might not immediately recognize it and would throw more immune chemistry at it which would cause more random dieoff of species of gut microbes I suppose. When the body recognizes the pathogen it probably stimulates specific immune system chemistries it knows are necessary to fight the disease which causes less side effect than tossing multiple chemistries at the pathogen.

So it is possible that if it senses the spike protein as new, even though it knows how to fight regular coronaviruses, it can over react to the virus. This overreaction would be considered a cytokine storm or overreaction I suppose.

I get a cytokine or bradykin storm from the flu vaccine and have been told never to get it by my doctor years ago and this he wrote in my records. But I fight off the flu quickly, sick for maybe a day, but the flu is not being injected into my body so the flu doesn't cause me hardly any problems unless I go on beta blocker meds. I was informed by someone here why I got sick when on Beta blockers, so I looked at the Pharma site and the FDA site as that person told me and found it was correct and pertinent to what I experienced. I found out that I had only had lung issues like bronchitis, pleuracy, and pneumonia when I was on the beta blockers and also had more flu or cold like illnesses those times when I reviewed all my medical and pharma bill insurance statements a few years ago. Thanks to the person who showed me that this existed when I mentioned it in a post...not going on beta blockers anymore. I hate being sick.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It seems reasonable to me that the Covid virus kills off some of the gut organisms the same way it kills some human cells. When those organisms are gone then the total gut biome will be disturbed or displaced from from its normal functioning. As soon as the viral infection is defeated, then the biome reverts to its normal condition. Not a big mystery.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

There is nothing conclusive yet, but it looks like those going into a covid infection with a healthy gut tend to have a milder case.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I think the newness to the body does have at least some role here. But it does look as though most who have a healthy gut microflora prior to infection do not have the higher risk for severe outcomes from covid.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
double

posted on Dec, 26 2022 @ 01:26 AM
link   

everyday, that's one thing i do regularly. except coca cola, that's the necter of the gods, i have one a night.
i also haven't been jabbed, nor been to see a doctor in more than 30 years, only when it's something i cant do for myself or beyond my control, like real bad cuts wounds or broken bones.

doctors keep you on a endless cycle of keep coming back for this that or the other and refer you to their colleagues in there groups.

have you tried hot coke with lemon and ginger?

it's a lot better than it sounds.

yoghurt, and rolled oats with a spoon of royal jelly and honey mix. i get el brezal brand from spain and a tsp of bee pollen usually with the oats.

don't forget dark chocolate.

black coffee.

take the gun and leave the cannoli.

broken bones and bad cuts?

wtf? park our or free climber?

edit on 03/22/2022 by sarahvital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2022 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

broken bones and bad cuts?
wtf? park our or free climber?

when younger, teens and early twenty's part adrenaline junkie / athlete, and 20's to mid 30's then on to retirement / self employed construction, and commercial, industrial electrical repair tech and shop owner.

posted on Dec, 26 2022 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It was discovered early on that there is one specific type of gut flora that if a person has a high concentration of, they wouldn't get covid.

About 20% of the world's population is naturally high in this particular microbe. I can't find the video now, so I don't remember the name of it.
edit on 26-12-2022 by MaxxAction because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join